Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What do you think of the new search engine??

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:57 AM

http://www.wolframalpha.com/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:46 PM

It just seems very specific search-wise. If I'm actually looking for something like a website or music, it wouldn't be good. It's only good if I'm looking for information like demographics or a calculation.

#3 henceforth

henceforth

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:11 AM

I quite liked it! :flowers:

Very math feel to it actually! :thumbsup:

#4 Stofzuiger

Stofzuiger

• Members
  • 332 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 12:48 PM

hm, different, nice for english speaking people, though not perfect. I still prefer google, but this is definetly an keeper.

I though you ment Scoopler, also a new searchengine. This engine comes with live results, so the output keeps changing (it searches mainly in sites like Twitter, for new search results).

Every one goes fun fun fun

Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha beta psychedelic bleepin'? ~Chemical Brothers - Elektrobank

#5 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2009 - 01:34 PM

Not bad I thought it was decent for an Alpha stage until I did a few more things and hit one problem, I tried one of it's examples $250 + 15% which fair enough came out with the result $287.50 but then I tried it in Pounds so put 250 + 15%, it didn't recognise my input and asked me to follow some search tips. So oddly although it is created by a Brit he hasn't put in support for our currency to be recognised it seems, It can even work out the same calculation in Euros 250 + 15% which makes it worse a bit more.

So for now I still prefer Google for my searching even if I may have to search a bit longer and through a few results sometimes, although since it is in an Alpha stage I guess we can expect a few bugs potentially though it could be good so I guess we will see.

#6 Stofzuiger

Stofzuiger

• Members
  • 332 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2009 - 01:48 PM

Hm agree, its mainly based on american people. I think we shouldn't see it as an search engine, but more like an application that can awnser alot of question, and which can also do math for you, and probably more.

Every one goes fun fun fun

Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha beta psychedelic bleepin'? ~Chemical Brothers - Elektrobank

#7 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:59 PM

Nice site. I like how it shows Google's stats.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,526 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:08 PM

Somebody beat me to the punch on my take: :thumbsup:

Wolfram Alpha's terms of service mind-boggingly backward at best, and troubling at worst. Some have pointed to the quasi-search engine's sometimes weird results as a reason to give the service a pass, but there's a far more fundamental reason to reject Wolfram Alpha

Quote from: Wolfram Alpha and its architecture of failure

Note the obtuse rebuttal from: Wolfram|Alpha's Theodore Gray at the end of the article.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:55 PM

I'm not sold yet but this could be a good way to assess it -

[Quote from C-NET.]

May 20, 2009 1:29 PM PDT
Firefox add-on puts Wolfram Alpha in your Google
by Josh Lowensohn

If you've casually been using Wolfram Alpha, but don't want to give up your Google addiction reliance, there's hope for you yet. A new Firefox extension lets you keep using Google, while showing Wolfram Alpha results on the side of the page.
I've been using it all morning and it's a nice addition if you're a search enthusiast. Your Google results come in just as quickly as they usually do, while the Wolfram ones catch-up on the side. This makes it a good way to test some of the limitations of the new search engine, as it only covers so many topics. My favorite use for it is to pull up nutritional information for fast food and cast lists for movies. Both are activities that usually require going off the results page to find the information I was looking for, whereas Wolfram simply grabs and displays it in an orderly fashion.
The only drawback I've run into with this extension is that it can clip off the bottom of the Wolfram Alpha results unless you've got Google set to show 20 or more search results per page. On some of the longer entries this this means you're not seeing potentially important information. On the plus side, there's a quick link to redo the search in Wolfram Alpha, in a different browser tab.
Note: This extension is experimental, which means you need to be registered with Mozilla's add-ons directory to install it in your browser.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users