Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i need a windows 98 disk?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 lindaga35

lindaga35

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:54 PM

i still have my mother in law's computer and im wanting to delete xp and re install 98.

but my problem is i dont have the disks. she dont either, so i was wondering where i could find one.

thanks,
Linda

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:18 PM

Legally you cant
Unless you buy it somewhere

Post more about the issue I would not revert back to 98 without more imput from you and others
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:58 PM

Hi Linda,

What made you decide to do this?

Does the computer have a sticker on it somewhere with some numbers on it?

If so, those numbers might be the license for the Win 98 that you had on the system. If you have that license key, if you know someone who has a disk you could borrow it, or if you don't know anyone who has the disk, you might be able to find a computer repair shop in your area that will still have a copy of it and maybe they will burn you a copy of a disk they have.

If you do not have the license key for it, maybe you know someone who has a disk and the license key for it but no longer has it on any of their computers. If they do not have it on their computers and they were willing to give or sell you the disk, it would be legal for you to put it on your system, using the license key that came with that particular disk.

You really cannot buy a new copy of that disk anymore.

Edited by Stang777, 25 May 2009 - 12:07 AM.

#4 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:04 AM

:flowers:

Actually, during the time period of WIN95, WIN98, WIN98SE, Mr. Gates was so desperate to get people converted to Windows off DOS and Win 3.1, he allowed Multi Liciences that are still Legal to this very day. Unlike what we have nowadays.

Legally, I could give you one of those Licience Numbers, but I honestly have to ask Why? would you need to go backwards from XP to WIN98? That is Crazy!

If the XP has been set up as NTFS, chances of getting it back to FAT 16 or FAT32, where WIN98 can run are remote. It can not recognise NTFS. You can go forward, but rarely back.

XP Recognises Hardware that WIN98 needs Drivers for and WIN98 has no real recognition for Updates, except for some things? Why go Backwards?

You should be Honest and tell us why you need to go backwards with the System. We may be able to give you a workaround it? Only thing I can think of is someone put XP on there that diddn't work?

:thumbsup:

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:56 AM

Abacus,

If I remember correctly, her system is not really able to run XP properly. I do not believe she has adequate ram, she only has 128 meg of it, and she has been having one problem after another since putting it on.

The computer in question is older and should not have any trouble with drivers and such when putting 98 back on especially since, if I remember correctly, it was not formatted before putting XP on so it is probably still using FAT32.

Even though when XP first came out and many computers did come with only 128 meg of ram with XP installed, in many ways, other than adding more ram, it seems like the best option is to go back to 98. I was just curious as to what made her finally decide to give up on XP.

Linda,

If it were my computer, before going back to 98, I would reformat the disk and do a clean install of XP, leave SP3 off of it and see how it does.

I have no idea if the computer you have is able to have more ram installed on it, but if it can, adding some would be a better option than returning to 98, especially since ram is pretty cheap. Until you decide about reformatting and installing any operating system, you might want to consider just uninstalling SP3, as that is probably slowing you down considerably.

Edited by Stang777, 25 May 2009 - 04:01 AM.

#6 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:28 AM

Stang777

Thanks for understanding my point.

If Linda really wants to go backward I can Legally help her, but I was looking for reasons for her to go backwards? RAM for that Machine could not be availible? Here it is $60 per 128M stick, Second hand.

I had a similar Machine I bought for my Kids, with 128M of RAM, set up with XP Pro, that I later found out was a Pirated Copy. I added 2x128M sticks of Ram, put in a Legal Copy of XP Home and we had a really Nice Computer from it.

I am being nice about this? No way do I ever want to be considered to be ever wishing to subvert any Liciencing Agreements.

:thumbsup: :flowers:

#7 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:23 AM

yes linda i understan
windows xp is bleep, stang777 and abacus 7 are does people that say i dont like eye candy (liesss!!!)
lol just kidding
well any way i hate windows xp and revert to win me or win 98 any day
would do it on my new laptop to but i dont think am gonna find drivers for my graphics and sound cards
but i still use win me on my old computer

Abacus 7 said;::
If Linda really wants to go backward I can Legally help her, but I was looking for reasons for her to go backwards? RAM for that Machine could not be availible? Here it is $60 per 128M stick, Second hand.

GEE $60 for a 128mb stick
kina getting ripped of there lol in my area (aus melbourne) you can get 256mb for $40 and if i remeber thats branded ram(thats new lol)
but i dont buy from shops i get uesd old comps form freinds and ebay or some thing
lol $99 for 512mb of ram hah

#8 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:47 AM

yes linda i understan
windows xp is bleep, stang777 and abacus 7 are does people that say i dont like eye candy (liesss!!!)
lol just kidding
well any way i hate windows xp and revert to win me or win 98 any day
would do it on my new laptop to but i dont think am gonna find drivers for my graphics and sound cards
but i still use win me on my old computer

Abacus 7 said;::

GEE $60 for a 128mb stick
kina getting ripped of there lol in my area (aus melbourne) you can get 256mb for $40 and if i remeber thats branded ram(thats new lol)
but i dont buy from shops i get uesd old comps form freinds and ebay or some thing
lol $99 for 512mb of ram hah

Seriously?

Can you explain how that will help Linda?

Linda still has not explained why she wants to back Grade from XP. I am happy to Help, Legally, if she really wants to go that way?

BTW? :thumbsup: You should check out the compatible Ranges, before you make a Statement like you did.

:flowers:

Edited by Abacus 7, 25 May 2009 - 06:56 AM.

#9 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:54 AM

what? lol

#10 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:04 AM

:thumbsup:

Sorry, I mean it seriously?

I am trying to Help Linda?

:flowers: :trumpet:

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:22 AM

Why don't you wait until you are finished with the HJT process before deciding to downgrade?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#12 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:24 PM

The only objection I have to win98 is that so many things are no longer compatible with it. My other computer is running 98se and until a year or so ago, that was my only computer and I will say that I love 98se other than it got really hard to get things for it. I wanted another wireless mouse for it, nope, no longer available, need XP, also many new programs also require having XP.

As far as ram goes, she should be able to get it for a lot less than has been previously posted, otherwise, I would not have said it was pretty cheap as she doesn't have a lot of money to put into this computer. From what I am finding, she should be able to get 512 meg of the type of ram she probably needs online delivered for under 20 bucks. Someone else posted in another thread that they were able get it a gig of it at Best Buy for $27.00, although I am sure that was for a different type of ram than what Linda needs.

Edited by Stang777, 25 May 2009 - 05:28 PM.

#13 lindaga35

lindaga35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:31 PM

it is my old computer that im wanting to revert back to 98. NOT THE LAPTOP, that im trying to make sure its clean.

sorry i posted twice and confused everyone, but stang has it right. my old pc is so slow it wont run xp.

but the laptop is doing ok now. its just got the busted screen, but ive got it hooked up to my monitor now so its no problem.

i dont want to put any more money into the old computer. not a lot of money. im saving up for a brand new laptop. maybe one of these days.

so that being said, im sorry its taken so long for me to respond. ive been out of town.

thanks for all the suggestions.

Linda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users