Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frequent Blue Screen errors

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nmcmahon

nmcmahon

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:53 PM

First of all, apologies if this is in the incorrect forum.

I hope someone can help me with this, as it has been driving me mad for nearly two years now! (I know its been a long time, but I have sort of got used to it).

I built the computer in question myself nearly two years ago, and was the first time I had done so. Generally, everything was OK when building it and I got it up and running fine. Soon after, the problems started...

Here is my computer's spec before going into the problems:
  • Antec Quattro 850W PSU
  • ASUS Striker Extreme motherboard
  • Intel Core2 Quad Core Q6600 CPU @ 2.40GHz
  • 3 x 1GB Corsair 800MHz DDR2 RAM
  • Hitachi 250GB HDD
  • nVidia GeForce 8800GTX GFX card (768MB)
  • DVD-RW Drive
  • Arctic Cooler Freezer Pro 7 CPU Fan
  • Antec P180 Case
  • Windows Vista Home Premium (32 bit)
Now, the problems I have are simple multiple blue screen (BSOD) errors. They are seemingly random, ie. are not triggered by a certain event (as far as I know), and are never the same error or file. I have listed the various errors and files I have got on the BSODs below.
  • PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
  • MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
  • APC_INDEX_MISMATCH
  • KERNAL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
  • BAD_POOL_HEADER
The top three are generally the most common. I either have no file listed on the BSOD, or either of these two:
  • ntfs.sys
  • win32.sys
I am pretty sure it is something to do with my hardware - as far as I am aware, BSODs of this nature usually are. Here is what I have tried so far but to no avail:
  • Someone mentioned it could be due to the computer overheating
    • My graphics card is very powerful and can get VERY hot (~70 degrees) - however I have read that it is fine working at this heat, but I thought maybe it was heating up the rest of the PC.
      • EDIT - Please note that my card has never got this hot, I have just read that it can; I have never recorded any temperatures on my PC above ~45 C.
    • My case is designed with cooling in mind - the PSU is in a separate compartment to the rest of the motherboard; I have 2 huge fans on full speed, and also the Arctic Cooler Freezer Pro 7, all of which are above the GFX card, which should effectively draw any heat out the back of the case
    • When running SpeedFan the PC is usually around 30 to 40 degrees, which is cool or normal according to SpeedFan, and a little higher when playing games (but not so high that the BIOS would cause the computer to shut down)
    • I have even tried taking of the side of the case to let all the heat out, but no difference.
    • I have found that during the summer months it does crash more often, though.
  • I have updated everything on my computer - BIOS, chipset drivers, GFX card drivers, etc.
  • I have a feeling (due to the BSOD errors) that it may be the RAM playing up or is faulty
    • I have tried swapping the sticks around, trying different slots, taking some out: they all seem to be fine
    • I have tried Windows' Memory Diagnostic Tool, and came back with no errors
Sorry for such a long message, but I wanted to get as much detail as possible down. I have no idea how to fix this, and if someone with more knowledge has an idea, it would save me a lot of trouble - every time the computer crashes and restarts, all my icons and quick launch bar reset, and playing games I have to save every couple of minutes!).

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by nmcmahon, 25 May 2009 - 10:40 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 01:57 AM

have you tried perhaps a differnet hard drive? or memtest86? from what you said Id say its not your memory, but it could be faulty hardware elsewhere. I would try swapping hard drives or running a hard drive diagnostic tool, and perhaps swapping video cards. 70 C is in the safety range for a 8800, but just barely, part of why I dont use NVIDIA cards they always seem to overheat my system. try reseating the card or using a different one and see if the problem persists. though personally, I would also try reinstalling all your drivers as well. it could be something as simple as that.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 andru

andru

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:54 AM

Hey mate, I don't know as much as most of these guys do on computers but i built my own rig about 6 months ago and went through hell with it. I had all the same Blue screens as you (and more) and did memory test and it came back saying my ram was good. After buying a new Cpu fan and other Hardware i still had no luck so eventuly i took the comp back in and it was fualty ram. Now i am getting same errors again so i played around with the new replaced ram and found out one of them was fualty as the other one works with no errors, and again MemTest came back with nothing. I suggest you take the ram into where you puchased it and get them to check on thier system if they find it does not work (even if MemTest says it does for them) they should replace it (if you still have recete)...2 years though :S sounds like your gonna have a hard time convincing them that it origanly was fualty

Andru

Edited by andru, 25 May 2009 - 06:59 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:19 AM

The only time I've had random BSODs of a differing nature...all of which pointed to RAM issues...was when CMOS batteries ran low.

If they are true RAM errors, then it's normally consistent in the error message, IMO.

Run Memtest86 to eliminate/confirm the RAM...but I would buy a new CMOS battery first and install same.

If you have a problem with the ntfs.sys file...I would suggest that you have issues which relate to the hard drive. Can you post the details of the error message for the ntfs.sys error?

Louis

#5 nmcmahon

nmcmahon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:38 AM

have you tried perhaps a differnet hard drive? or memtest86? from what you said Id say its not your memory, but it could be faulty hardware elsewhere. I would try swapping hard drives or running a hard drive diagnostic tool, and perhaps swapping video cards. 70 C is in the safety range for a 8800, but just barely, part of why I dont use NVIDIA cards they always seem to overheat my system. try reseating the card or using a different one and see if the problem persists. though personally, I would also try reinstalling all your drivers as well. it could be something as simple as that.

I thought that the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool was pretty much the same as memtest86? Perhaps I will try that as well to see if I get a different result.

The hard drive may be a good place to start - do you know any hard drive diagnostic tools?

I should have rephrase my original post regarding the GFX card temp - I have READ that it can get up to 70 C and still run fine, but I haven't actually had my PC at the temperature (as far as I know). I haven't got a tool for measuring the GFX card temp, but SpeedFan indicates that everything else heats up, but never more than ~45 C.

I have got DriverDetective installed and update all my drivers about once a month, would re-installing make any difference?

Hey mate, I don't know as much as most of these guys do on computers but i built my own rig about 6 months ago and went through hell with it. I had all the same Blue screens as you (and more) and did memory test and it came back saying my ram was good. After buying a new Cpu fan and other Hardware i still had no luck so eventuly i took the comp back in and it was fualty ram. Now i am getting same errors again so i played around with the new replaced ram and found out one of them was fualty as the other one works with no errors, and again MemTest came back with nothing. I suggest you take the ram into where you puchased it and get them to check on thier system if they find it does not work (even if MemTest says it does for them) they should replace it (if you still have recete)...2 years though :S sounds like your gonna have a hard time convincing them that it origanly was fualty

Andru

Unfortunately I bought everything on Ebuyer, so I think returning will be difficult, not to mention the fact that it was 2 years ago. I was going to get some higher quality RAM for this PC at some point anyway, so maybe when I do, I can replace my current RAM and see if that was the problem.

The only time I've had random BSODs of a differing nature...all of which pointed to RAM issues...was when CMOS batteries ran low.

If they are true RAM errors, then it's normally consistent in the error message, IMO.

Run Memtest86 to eliminate/confirm the RAM...but I would buy a new CMOS battery first and install same.

If you have a problem with the ntfs.sys file...I would suggest that you have issues which relate to the hard drive. Can you post the details of the error message for the ntfs.sys error?

Louis

Thanks for this, this is another approach to try - but why would the CMOS batteries be low when I bought the motherboard brand new?

If and when I get the ntfs.sys error again, I will post the details here.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, some different approaches would be appreciated.

Edited by nmcmahon, 25 May 2009 - 10:38 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:02 PM

There is no way of anticpating...battery life on something like that.

Who knows when the batteries were purchased...which may be a totally different date than when it was installed...which probably is a very different date from when it was purchased?

"New" is an entirely relative term.

And there's nothing guaranteed about the useability of any battery, IMO.

That's how I look at things.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users