Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Updates

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 29 August 2004 - 11:45 PM

I hope this is posted in the right place :thumbsup: .
Okay, I went to the Windows Updates and it found a number of things. I never understood what we really needed to get and what to not bother with at all. I got a few of the critical and security updates most of which pertained to WinME of course. I can list what I got and when I got them if it matters but what I really want to know is should we update everything or just this or that? A friend told me once to only worry about the critical ones. What do y'all say?

~67~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 30 August 2004 - 02:24 AM

hmmm, I like to see your list. Win xp seems to be the one that's been gettin' the lion's share of patches, but I wouldn't know about the others since the Update Service reads "my computer's mind" automatically and doesn't fill me in fully on the others.

As far as the pick just this 'n that goes... or just critical ones... in my case and based on the volumes of KB Articles I've reluctantly read (do to the compelling reasons pointed out in the desciptions of all those patches) it would seem not only are the additional updates appropriate often enough to add with the critical ones, the order in which they are added sometimes affects their functionality. Basiclly, if you use windows products, the latest updates require the latest patches and some inter-connectivity exists...ie: if you use Office Excel you need to go to that Update site and get those patches, too or else the Microsoft BaseLineSecurity Analyzer ( separate and very useful download tool that creates absolutely no ddanger to your machine) will tell you your're still vulnerable to malicious hackers even with all the critical updates. Use IE and Messenger, and maybe buy something on the 'net and you better check out the .NET Passsprt thing...download the optional update and whoops, you may have forgotten to upgrade the .NET thing you had to the version that the patch that was automatically downloaded for you was supposed to patch. (S*** happens, I can tell you. Posts prior aren't forgotten even though the irratation of goofs does wear off as time goes by)

As always, my words in no way qualify for that voice thats says: I know, I approve of this message. By November, you should have an answer, I'd say to that) :flowers: :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2004 - 09:36 PM

Thanks Phawgg for everything offered thus far and upcoming as well.
Please keep in mind I have WinME so these, of course, will not look familiar to everyone viewing this.

Sunday, Aug 29, 2004:

812709 Security Update (Windows ME)
Windows Share Level Password Update
Q323172 Security Update (Windows ME)
Q329115 Security Update (Windows ME)
814078 Security Update (Microsoft Jscript version 5.6, Win98, WinME Edition,NT4.0)
Critical Update for ADODB.stream (KB870669)
WinME System Restore Update
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (Win98, WinME)

Friday, May 21, 2004:

811630 Critical Update (WinME)
Q323255 Security Update (WinME)
Q329048 Security Update
Q329414 Security Update (MDAC 2.5)
823559 Security Update for Windows
Security Update for Windows (KB819696)
Security Update for WinME (KB825119)

Friday April 30, 2004 Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (Win98, WinME)

Okay, there ya have it all. Let me explain why I redid the IE6. Back in April (above), it seemingly didn't 'work' or something. I'm not sure where the glitch is but HijackThis recognizes that I use IE6, however, under Help up there, and About Internet Explorer, it shows "version 5.50". Maybe it doesn't matter but it doesn't make sense either. BUT, it said I had all the newest updated IE6 and I could choose to exit installation or reinstall all components. I chose to reinstall just in case the first installation missed something (shooting arrows in the dark here). But it said there was an error that something was missing or something like that. So, upon rebooting, it asked if I wanted to exit setup or reinstall. This time I chose to exit and let sleeping dogs lie. So no changes in IE 5.5 or IE 6.0 - whatever it is, lol.

Well, let me also say that I read the entire paragraphs of what updates it finds I need and I think about it carefully. So, if something struck a chord or something, I'd choose it. I didn't just grab blindly. Granted, I'm blonde so the choice can be yours at this point, lol.

Any info would be great.
~67~

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2004 - 12:45 AM

Well, let me also say that I read the entire paragraphs of what updates it finds I need and I think about it carefully. So, if something struck a chord or something, I'd choose it. I didn't just grab blindly. Granted, I'm blonde so the choice can be yours at this point, lol.

My choice would be for you to stay blonde, continue to laugh, and more importantly continue to do just as you have.
  • I read the entire paragraphs of what updates it finds I need and I think about it carefully.
Thinking about it carefully has generally led me to desire more in the way of an answer to: why this patch is needed? Dig in at the Knowledge Base Search field (or Google, for that matter) and you'll get more information, but I find (within the limitations of my understanding) I must rely on repetition, straining in much the same way I do with a 1500 piece jig-saw puzzle...searching, in scans for little clues in subtle similarities and differences.
  • So, if something struck a chord or something, I'd choose it.
Just like those monster puzzles, after a while you have a bunch of 4-5 piece connections, maybe 75% of the border and areas where you've gathered individual pieces that seem the same in some way.
Windows operating systems (all of them) have areas, sections or modules that fit together to form the big picture You learn a little about through the KB's. Then you have to study other things that aren't affected by patches. Learn something about how any particular program's install files affect the system... how registry changes will occur, maybe it will make a new task process start or make one already running do more, or put files with a new extension type into a location it (or you) choose.
  • I didn't just grab blindly
Thats how you "see" relationships... even if you don't completely understand them.

I see 2 updates in your list that are also part of winxp's updates:
KB 825119 & KB 819696. 1 other one, Q 329115 is also listed as one in the XP SP2 :
329115 MS02-050: Certificate validation flaw might permit identity spoofing Base operating system

Basically, win98 has fewer patches than winME, which has fewer patches than winXP. A comment I've heard explains it like this: WinXP is an attempt to do more things for more special interests as a package deal and as a result, might end up doing all of them a little less than ideally. Since Microsoft owns the formula, they tinker with it. The alternatives, like Linux as based on a formula that isn't exactly owned (some controversy there, I guess) so people can tinker with it more freely and it's development is along lines that don't cause the same kinda problems you get when everything is protected and intertwined (or "seamlessly" is the way its put)

Bottomline, as I see it, is you do need the updates "it" chooses for you and any options depend on what you're doing on top of the operating system
:flowers: Granted, I'm going gray...maybe a brunette or redhaed will come along and add a response we all can learn from. :thumbsup:

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2004 - 07:26 AM

Lets make it simple if we can.....Set your machine to auto update...it does it for you you never see the list your fully updated. Does Me have auto update....I havent had a ME machine in over a year! You could try that I suggest getting all the critical one and none of the others unless you want them.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 31 August 2004 - 10:47 AM

You are doing the smart thing with updates. Basically, I install most of the critical updates, and some of the other updates (NEVER driver updates) after figuring out what they are about. I also subscribe to MS security update Emails
This being said, I do NOT use automatic update; I download the update and install from my hard drive---this way I have a backup of every update in case my computer crashes---generally waiting a couple of weeks before installing the larger ones in case problems arise. Generally there are comments about critical patches in the web press which explain what part of MS is vulnerable and what the patch prevents.
I am extremely careful about what I install on my machine, and see no reason to make an exception for Microsoft.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2004 - 03:24 PM

I install ALL of the critical updates. I also do what John does, and read through the descriptions of the recommended updates and install what I feel applies to me. Drivers updates I never do through microsoft, as you can generally get newer ones elsewhere.

I am not as careful though, I just go ahead and install from windowsupdate.com. Granted if something goes wrong, I have a decent enough knowledge to fix it.

#8 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2004 - 04:03 PM

Thank you for the clarifications, gentlemen. :thumbsup:

#9 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2004 - 04:14 PM

Wow, thanks fellas!
This reminds me of everyone I've heard before being right and wrong at the same time, lol.
I think I basically do what John and Grinler do. I don't know any reason NOT to take all of the updates, critical and security, but I don't fix things that aren't broken and I don't get things I don't need. Generally, that's what computers are all about, aren't they? lol
Phawgg, great advice as usual. I'll keep the blonde (with the gray), continue to laugh, and do what I think is best, online and offline. :thumbsup: The definitions and clarifications were quite helpful to me. I'm one of those people who like to know what stuff means and what stuff does. For example, my computer has a DVD drive that somewhere along the way stopped reading DVD's and I wrote to another forum for 3 months off and on about it getting much feedback until finally, someone suggested I buy a DVD cleaner (LOL OH DUH, right?). I mention this because I didn't buy the computer to play DVD's, I own a great multi-disk DVD player already, but my theory is I did pay for the thing to work (didn't I, lol) so it should work. A little FYI for ya hon, lol.
Y'all are wonderful and I am very grateful for all the input.
~67~

P.S. I'll check right now to see if I have the automatic update, CGM3, thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users