Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Format C under XP

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 bolterdog

bolterdog

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 24 May 2009 - 08:04 PM

I am ready to format my hard drive and reinstall XP fresh. I have the original XP CD, SP2 & 3 and all the drivers and software ready to go. Among the multitude of issues I am having is that when I put a CD or DVD in the drive they do not autorun. They do spin up and I can acces them through MyComputer, but it takes 2 minutes to read them. This means that when I restart the computer with the XP CD to do the reformat in the bootable drive, it goes right past it and boots from the hard drive. I have comfirmed in the bios the drive that is set to boot but it just goes past it because of this issue. I have read the articles on fdisk and format c;, but they say they are all for FAT32 under 98 or ME, not XP or NTFS. I just want to wipe the drive and start fresh with the original CD that came with the computer but it won't let me boot from the CD on start up. Any suggestions appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:26 PM

Failing to boot from a bootable CD is the standard test to prove a faulty CD drive. You could try cleaning the laser lens and see if that brings it up, but beyond that, the non-booting and very long read times indicate the laser is probably weak. Unless cleaning cures it, everything points to the drive needing to be replaced. Even if you could get it to boot, installation could be very slow and you may get partway through and have the installation fail as files may be unable to be copied, or be corrupted.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:44 PM

Do you have a floppy disk drive? If so, go here and download the correct set of files depending on your version of XP.

Note, that it MUST match the version on your Windows CD. For example, if your CD is XP Professional SP2, then make sure you download the files for SP2, Professional edition. If it's Home Edition, then use the Home Edition files and so on.

Once you download the files, please run it to create 6 floppy disks. Make sure you number them, in order 1 to 6 until they are all complete.

Now, do the following:

1) Insert your 1st floppy disk (Disk#1) into the floppy drive and configure your BIOS to start from the floppy first. Shut down your computer then boot it up. It should start from the floppy. Follow the prompts to insert each additional disk. Ultimately, you will need to use the Windows CD to finish setup. At this point, put your CD in the drive and finish installing Windows.

2) Now, install all your drivers, then your essential tools (like Java, FlashPlayer, Shockwave, Adobe Reader, etc.).

3) Visit Windows Update and do all the updates (which will take care a better part of the day!).

4) Make sure Windows Firewall is ON, or install a 3rd party firewall. Install your antivirus and antispyware, update them, and make sure Real time protection is up.

This should get XP back up on your comp. Now you can go on the internet to try and find a diagnostic program to see what is happening with your CD Rom and if it's functional.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

#4 bolterdog

bolterdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:39 PM

Thanks for the reply's. The drive works fine. Let me explain further. When I try to look up files in MyComputer, the dialouge box comes up and the flashlight scans for about 2 minutes before it is able to locate anything on the drive. Once it's there, all works as it should. This is the same symptom with the CD & DVD drives. They work fine once they are working, but something in the comunication is slow to respond. This is just one of many issues leading me to the reformat. I hope that makes sense. What I am hoping for is a way to wipe the drive, then use my original install disc to start fresh. I would rather not go the floppy route as I don't have one installed so if it can be avoided that would be best. Thanks again.

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:00 PM

In order for a disk to boot the CD drive has to be set as the first boot device in the BIOS.

When the computer is started & it is set to boot from the CD drive first there will be a message that says "Press any key to boot CD" [or there aboutss] .
The message is only displayed a few seconds & a key on the keyboard must be pushed before the message goes away,
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:18 PM

:trumpet:

In some cases the CMOS can become corrupted and cause Hardware Issues like this.

Locate the Battery, it is usually shaped like a Coin, and either use the Jumper located near it to drain the CMOS, by switching the jumper from Pins 1 & 2 to Pins 2 & 3 for a few minutes, then back again, or just remove the Battery for a few minutes. After that you will need to reset the Computer Clock in the BIOS as it will revert to Factory settings.

After that try again? That will fix it if that is your Problem. It will not harm your Computer.

:thumbsup: :flowers:

#7 bolterdog

bolterdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:44 PM

fairjoeblue - I see the press any key, then when I do the drive starts to spin up but because it can't be read without the delay, the hard drive takes over and boots up.

Abacus 7 - I will replace the CMOS battery just in case as it is as old as the computer - about 6 years. But I have so many other issues aside from the read delay taht need to be remedied and that is why I am reformatting.

Is there a way to wipe the drive without using the XP install CD and then do a reinstall like it was a new drive?

#8 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:23 AM

:inlove:

If the Battery is that old, replace it first? Then Post Back.

Usually a couple of years sees the Battery dead, then CMOS just doesn't work on situations like this where it is needed.

Central Memory Operating System, I believe it is called? :thumbsup:

Others say differently?

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/C/CMOS.html

It is a very minor part of a Computing System, but a very Vital one. It has Information Stored for each Start up and does little else.

:flowers: :trumpet:

Edited by Abacus 7, 25 May 2009 - 02:38 AM.

#9 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:50 AM

Don't know if this will help you, but every time I have a serious Windows problem I just put in a new hard drive and reinstall Windows from the disk. This way I do not lose any data as I can reconnect the old drive either internally or via a USB enclosure, delete Windows and still access all my data.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#10 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:07 AM

:thumbsup:

I think a new Battery will fix it? If it doesn't your Solution was the next one I was going to Suggest.

:flowers:

#11 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:32 AM

It is the reason I now have about 2.3TB of storage, and every document I ever made, LOL.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#12 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:10 AM

:thumbsup: :flowers:

Let's get this back on Track, Mate.

:trumpet: :inlove:

Edited by Abacus 7, 25 May 2009 - 08:39 AM.

#13 bolterdog

bolterdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:02 AM

Abacus 7:
I will be getting the battery later today and post back when installed. Thanks.

New battery installed - updated and confirmed CMOS settings. No change in symptoms or computer performance of any kind. When I restart the computer with the XP recover disc in the drive I hear the drive spool up and get the "press any key to run the CD" message which I do, but because of the delay in the drive communicating or some other reason it just goes past the drive and starts to boot from the hard drive. I have run Plextools (both CD & DVD drives are Plextor) and all settings are good there and all tests show pass. All the autorun settings are set and Windows says the drives are operating correctly. FYI, the same delay happens when I try to view MyComputer and any time I try to save or open certain documents. For example, if I open a word document, modify it and then try to "save as" the delay happens when I try to browse to a new location for the save. In all these instances, after the delay everything works as it should. Not sure that helps as it is hard to describe. I don't think the issue is hardware related. I'll wait for your replay. Thanks.

Edited by bolterdog, 25 May 2009 - 04:05 PM.

#14 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:19 AM

Don't know if this will help you, but every time I have a serious Windows problem I just put in a new hard drive and reinstall Windows from the disk. This way I do not lose any data as I can reconnect the old drive either internally or via a USB enclosure, delete Windows and still access all my data.

You can do same with a Live Linux CD like Puppy Linux. No new hard disk needed.

#15 bolterdog

bolterdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:02 PM

I see you are on the other side of the planet. I'll wait until tonight here!

Edited by bolterdog, 25 May 2009 - 04:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users