Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This was interesting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 crumbs744

crumbs744

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 24 May 2009 - 07:41 PM

This has been the only real virus i have had.
*shudders*

My girlfriend the other day thought she would be clever and download a driver for my g15 keyboard which i had been too lazy to do lately.

So she went ahead and found a promising looking site with plenty of ads and free Free FREE!!! things to download.

So she gets what she thinks is the driver, it doesnt work, she gives up.

In a few days i come home to my computer with AVG showing a massive list of threats found and more being added every few seconds.

Avg labeled it as win32/virut.

clicked on start and every single icon was that generic windows "i-dont-know-how-to-run-that-program" icon.

i cringed, physically cut my network cable in half (i know a bit dramatic, but i had plenty of spare and to unplug i would have to move things), and went straight to google for info.

Discovered that format is the only way, so i went ahead and booted from bart PE and made an image my 1Tb of Progams and other data.

My question is, is there anyway to retrieve my data. It will be a fair few months of downloading to get it all back.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 24 May 2009 - 07:48 PM

Reformatting a hard disk deletes all data. If you decide to reformat, you can back up all your important documents, personal data files and photos. The safest practice is not to backup any executable files (*.exe), screensavers (*.scr), autorun (.ini) or .html files because they may be infected by malwareware appending itself to the executable. Some types of malware may even disguise itself by adding and hiding its extension to the existing extension of files so be sure you look closely at the full file name. After reformatting, as a precaution, make sure you scan these files with your anti-virus prior to copying them back to your hard drive.

~ quietman7 from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1147299

#3 crumbs744

crumbs744
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 24 May 2009 - 08:30 PM

it should be fairly safe to have them on a ghost image, there is no way they are going to run until i extract it.

but from the tone of the above quote it seems that .exe's may as well not exist.
am i right??

Second opinion anyone??!!

:thumbsup:

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:51 PM

IF you don't back up exe fikes they will not exist.. It is recommended not to back them up.
2 guidelines/rules when backing up

1) Backup all your important data files, pictures, music, work etc... and save it onto an external hard-drive. These files usually include .doc, .txt, .mp3, .jpg etc...
2) Do not backup any executables files or any window files. These include .exe's, .scr, .com, .pif etc... as they may contain traces of malware. Also, .html or .htm files that are webpages should also be avoided.

I would still individually scan the files after backing them up.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users