Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Access Extra HDD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Waffler

Waffler

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 24 May 2009 - 07:24 PM

I just went from an XP Home to XP Professional installation due to virus problems on my primary drive. Now for some strange reason one of my extra HDD's can't be accessed as it's not being assigned a volume number. According to Device Manager it's connected and the drivers are up to date but I can't actually access it because. I tried everything suggested by the Windows Help thing, short of pulling the thing out and installing it into a different machine to see if it still works. I've got no drivers to rollback to and uninstalling and re-installing the thing through device manager doesn't help. I've also looked in the BIOS and it recognizes the thing exists as well.

I'm not really sure what brand the thing is off hand. But the information displayed to me in Device Manager is: HDS722580VLAT20 (Google-fu claims that makes it a Hitachi Deskstar) Also it's the third hdd in my machine, installed on the same IDE as my cd\dvd drive which is working perfectly fine.

edit:
According to diskmgmt the drive contains only unallocated space. I take this to mean the whole thing got erased?

Edited by Waffler, 24 May 2009 - 09:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ZuBrain

ZuBrain

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:20 PM

.....it sounds like (if the drive was in before you re-installed windows) you may have deleted the partition. If it is a new drive try switching placement with the cd drive(master/slave to slave/master) or switching jumper settings (try one set to cable select).

#3 pizzaking50

pizzaking50

• Banned
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:19 PM

Yeah sounds like the problem is usually with the jumper settings, you can't use cable select unless you have the right cable for it. You can find the jumper settings either on the HDD or online, also make sure its on the slave portion of the cable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users