Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

INF installation failure causing boot to different 'user'

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 johnboy92

johnboy92

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 24 May 2009 - 05:31 PM

hey guys, ok granted my tpoic title and decription was a little wierd but i didnt know how else to describe it.

ok let me try explain the issue in as much detail as i can. I turned on my computer this evening and put in my password on my user name, it took a little while to load and then a dialouge box comes up telling me that an INF installtion failure has occured. I clicked ok and it appeared again, and again and again, eventually it did work and when windows loads it has a different background and all my files on the desktop are gone and left with only some desktop icons. The user is in my name so i assume its the same but then i go into my documents and nothing is there which means i must have been redirected to a different version of my user??

I went onto the internet to see what this INF failure is all about and multiple sites suggested malware/spyware etc, soo i did scans for them and nothing was found.I couldnt find anything on this whole user change thing. eventually i rebooted my computer and and i logged in, no dialouge box this time, straight back onto my user but this time, another desktop background and the icons i had just put on my desktop (for the virus scanners) had dissappeared.

I am completely stuck, i dont know what to do. I know all my files are still on the harddrive becuase when the scanners were scanning you could see it cycling through all the different file names. But i just cant access my origional administrative user becuase if this inf installation failure, which could be some form of malware/virus/trojan horse..i just dont know what to do and im affraid to turn off my computer in case i loose my stuff on this user again! so i shall leave the computer on until i find a solution to the issue.

I cant tell you how grateful i would be for any help on the matter, i am really stuck. If you require any further information, i'll try my best at giving it to you. Thank you for you time and help in this matter!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks again!!

and again!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 24 May 2009 - 05:40 PM

What is the exact wording of the error message, please?

Exactly...when does it occur/appear?

Is XP current with critical updates installed?

FWIW: Lots of guesswork, http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls...mp;oq=&aqi=

Louis

#3 johnboy92

johnboy92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:00 PM

hey Louis,

as far as i can remember ti say something along the lines of INF install failure. Reason: The data in invalid.

i apolgise for the lack of technical information, i am not very well informed on computers as you may be able to tell.

the last time i reinstalled xp on my computer was in 2006 but i think its upto date? not sure and the critical updates-i think they're upto date aswell.

thanks for the rapid reply!

#4 johnboy92

johnboy92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:48 AM

i have an UPDATE on the situation: i ran a piece of of software called counterspy and it picked up on a couple of trojans., which i deleted and so thought if i rebooted everything would be ok....but no it still logs me onto this other type of user (still in my name), so i ran the scanner again and it found nothing, rebooted again and im stull being direced to this user which has reduced controls (its not administraotr) so i cant access some things that could potentially help me.

ive just tried doing a 'sfc /scannow' thing but tha didnt help either.

i then put it into 'last known good configuration' and i ended up back on this strange user, but now with reduced screen resoulation to add insult to injury..

i tried going through help and support but i dont understand all that stuff about wini.ini and boot.ini or whatever...means nothing to me!?!

i am getting desperate, should i just call it a day and just reinstall xp all together?????

Edited by johnboy92, 25 May 2009 - 06:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users