Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

software speed up my pc

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Seaman

Ken Seaman

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 24 May 2009 - 03:25 PM

I was wondering what yall thought about these services that claim to speed up your pc. any info will help thanks
Ken Seaman

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 24 May 2009 - 04:07 PM

Many claim, none provide.

Performing routine maintenance and keeping your hard drive relatively lean will do more to improve performance than any application.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 24 May 2009 - 05:13 PM

Checkout this link about Finallyfast

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/201650/finally-fastcom/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:09 AM

even if their telling the truth, I refuse to waste money on something I can do mjyself. By keeping my computer malware free, and keeping certain settings tweaked (not overclocked) and using only good, performance parts, I can get the most out of my PC without buying expensive software. Im willing to bet I can get my computer running just as well without the software as I can with it. even if they can add a boost, I suspect its at most, a 5% increase, and thats probably waaay high. those stuff is just stuff to pay for someone elses computer lol.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 Stofzuiger

Stofzuiger

• Members
  • 332 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:36 AM

Ofcourse maintenance is priority #1 (the reason my pc is so slow :thumbsup:). Though, i found Auslogics Boostspeed quite handy, it has alot of "speed up functions" (No, there not perfect), but beside that, this program has some very handy tools, which normally are harder to find (like: editing the list of programs that run at startup, testing your connection, and tons of other programs).

Beside this, Smartclose might get in handy to, when you're using bigger programs, games for example. It closes alot of unnessesary running programs, which leaves more recources for your game.

Edited by Stofzuiger, 25 May 2009 - 03:36 AM.

Every one goes fun fun fun

Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha beta psychedelic bleepin'? ~Chemical Brothers - Elektrobank

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:20 AM

I have Uniblue SpeedUpMyPc. After using it two months I decided that buying an extra RAM-stick was much simpler. I kept the program though, because it has a good junkfile cleaner.

In the end, a computer performs as its owner. If it is maintained well it works fine.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#7 katana

katana

MRU Expert

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:24 AM

"Snake Oil" springs to mind.

There is a basic problem with all "Speed Up", "Tweak" and "Registry Cleaner" programs .....

To be of any use, you have to know what it is that they are actually doing.
If you know what it is they are doing, you don't need them to do it.
Posted Image

#8 Allen B.

Allen B.

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:50 AM

There is a basic problem with all "Speed Up", "Tweak" and "Registry Cleaner" programs .....

Katana's right - NEVER download or buy anything that will change your registry to "make your computer faster". If it will change your registry other than by the regular program changes, it is most likely malware.

...:::Allen:::...

I may be 13 but I've got a rare condition of the smarts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users