Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to disable Google Toolbar Notifier

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 RainD

RainD

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 24 May 2009 - 01:31 PM

I've been working in some other forums trying to resolve my slow computer issues, and was directed to this site. I thought my various anti-whatever programs might have been working against each other, and I think that may be OK. I'm so un-knowledgeable (might say ignorant) about the way computers work that I am easily lost in the directions, which leads me to the Google Toolbar Notifier. I read the instructions on this site about disabling it, and can't even find the Settings, Options, More on the toolbar. I clicked on the wrench, but didn't see anything there, either. If I understand right, it would be best to disable, rather than remove it, but I can't do that.

Also, the other programs that it was suggested that I disable are VT Timer, Sunkist, tgcmd, HP Component Manage, SPSTEALTT and swg. They all have the same information on this site, which is they are safe, and can be disabled if desired. I don't know if I should do that or not. Disabling would, I guess, speed up the time it takes for my Internet to get up and running, which now is ridiculously slow - at least 5 minutes. Are there any disadvantages to disabling these, and if not, how do I disable them?

There are 2 programs I've tried to remove from my computer - both are Print Shop. I've repeatedly tried to get them off of the C drive, and the initial information comes up, like it's going to be removed, but they stay on there. Does anyone know anything about this?

And, lastly, a couple of weeks ago my son used my computer, and my icon on the desktop went from the "e" that has always been my internet icon to the "e" with 2387777 under it. Now, rather than going immediately to my homepage, it will show "connecting" to Internet Explorer for 5 minutes or so, before it goes to the homepage. Does this mean anything to anyone?

If I can get my programs cleaned up, I would like to check to be sure that there is nothing bad on the computer. My own efforts, and what I was told from another site, have shown that there is nothing harmful on it. I hope this is true, but would like to confirm that.

Thank you to anyone who can help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2009 - 05:23 PM

Let's start off by determining what can be disabled
Download Codestuff Starter Control Panel
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/starter.html
Open it and go to File and Save text
Copy and paste the log here
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 RainD

RainD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:25 PM

Thanks - I'll do that tomorrow. I thought I would get a message at my email to let me know there was a response, so I didn't know this message was here. I appreciate it, and will do this tomorrow.

Edited by RainD, 28 May 2009 - 10:26 PM.

#4 RainD

RainD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 05:43 PM

I've had a problem. I saved the program and ran it, but when I extracted the files, all that came up was another icon. There was nothing to copy and paste, at least not in a text form. Have I done something wrong, or need to do something differently?

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:12 AM

File>Save as plain text>Save to Desktop
There should be a text file on your Desktop that you can copy/paste
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 RainD

RainD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:05 PM

I don't know if what I did caused a problem, but I've had such a mess since I opened the snapfiles. I was online last night, and got a message that my virus protection (Avira) had been disabled. I messed with it for a while, and couldn't enable it, tried system restore (that didn't work) and then went to the Avira website. I got the protection enabled again, but couldn't update it. At the website, I saw that a lot of people can't update the free version right now. It usually runs a scan during the night, but it wasn't able to do that. I tried several times and couldn't get it to run, then the protection was disabled again.
I downloaded AVG, and took Avira off. Nothing came up on the AVG scan, so I don't know what was going on. Now, it's taking several minutes to get online again.
Should I try the snapfiles again? I don't know if it was a coincidence that the Avira got messed up within a few minutes of downloading Snapfiles. I had gotten a message from Scotty or something that warns me that the license was unknown, or not registered and the safety couldn't be verified.
I have no idea what to do now. I'd like to get this thing running more quickly again, and remove anything I don't need.
Any suggestions?
Thanks, again.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:20 PM

I'm certain that you're infected

The process of cleaning your computer may require you to temporarily disable some security programs. If you are using SpyBot Search and Destroy, please refer to Note 2 at the bottom of this page.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note:
-- If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Note 2:
-- MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere with the fix or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please disable such programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow the changes. To disable these programs, please view this topic: How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs
Mark
Posted Image

#8 RainD

RainD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2009 - 12:29 PM

You said to be sure I'm connected to the Internet. Should I stay connected, or download, go offline, shut off Firewall and Anti-Virus, then run MalwareBytes? I don't know if running the malware program connects me to Internet. Just don't want things to get worse than they already are. I have SpyBot, but I think TeaTimer is already disabled. Someone told me I already have a program that took care of that. I have Spyware Blaster, Super Anti-Spyware, and Comodo Firewall and since yesterday, AVG 8.5. I think all I have to do is disable AVG and Firewall.

I'm going to wait until you answer the internet question before I do much. I'll go ahead and download MalwareBytes, then see what you say about the other programs.

Thanks.

Edited by RainD, 31 May 2009 - 12:31 PM.

#9 RainD

RainD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:43 PM

I went ahead and did what I thought was right. Without being connected to the internet, I ran a quick scan, which said there were no malicious items. the computer is still slow - could there be something this didn't show, or can it still be programs competing. Since the Avira quit working, I've run Super Anti-Spyware, AVG and the malware. The Spyware had a few items on it, but the other 2 showed nothing.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.37
Database version: 2204
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

5/31/2009 10:33:25 PM
mbam-log-2009-05-31 (22-33-25).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 101338
Time elapsed: 15 minute(s), 40 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:21 PM

You said to be sure I'm connected to the Internet. Should I stay connected, or download, go offline, shut off Firewall and Anti-Virus, then run MalwareBytes

The less things running the better. That said, with Mbam it doesn't matter

Update mbam and run a FULL scan
Please post the results

Update Superantispyware and run a scan in safe mode
Please include the log
Mark
Posted Image

#11 RainD

RainD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:26 PM

Thank you again. The computer seems to have cold molasses running through it today. I'll post the scans as soon as I get them done.

#12 RainD

RainD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:38 PM

Here is the Spyware log. I'll run the mbam and post it next.

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 12/23/2008 at 08:31 PM

Application Version : 4.15.1000

Core Rules Database Version : 3679
Trace Rules Database Version: 1658

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 01:04:08

Memory items scanned : 396
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 6123
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 23629
File threats detected : 8

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@iacas.adbureau[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@tacoda[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@statcounter[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@interclick[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@adserver.adtechus[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@revsci[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@at.atwola[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@adopt.euroclick[2].txt

#13 RainD

RainD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:52 PM

Here is the Malware log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.37
Database version: 2211
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

6/2/2009 6:58:48 PM
mbam-log-2009-06-02 (18-58-47).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 169080
Time elapsed: 2 hour(s), 11 minute(s), 2 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:34 PM

Nothing really stands out. Just some tracking cookies

Please download Dr.Web CureIt, the free version & save it to your desktop. DO NOT perform a scan yet.

Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with Dr.Web CureIt as follows:
  • Double-click on launch.exe to open the program and click Start. (There is no need to update if you just downloaded the most current version
  • Read the Virus check by DrWeb scanner prompt and click Ok where asked to Start scan now? Allow the setup.exe to load if asked by any of your security programs.
  • The Express scan will automatically begin.
    (This is a short scan of files currently running in memory, boot sectors, and targeted folders).
  • If prompted to dowload the Full version Free Trial, ignore and click the X to close the window.
  • If an infected object is found, you will be prompted to move anything that cannot be cured. Click Yes to All.
  • When complete, click Select All, then choose Cure > Move incurable.
    (This will move any detected files to the C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile\DoctorWeb\Quarantine folder if they can't be cured)
  • Now put a check next to Complete scan to scan all local disks and removable media.
  • In the top menu, click Settings > Change settings, and UNcheck "Heuristic analysis" under the "Scanning" tab, then click Ok.
  • Back at the main window, click the green arrow "Start Scanning" button on the right under the Dr.Web logo.
  • When the scan is complete, a message will be displayed at the bottom indicating if any viruses were found.
  • Click "Yes to all" if asked to cure or move the file(s) and select "Move incurable".
  • In the top menu, click file and choose save report list.
  • Save the DrWeb.csv report to your desktop.
  • Exit Dr.Web Cureit when done.
  • Important! Reboot your computer because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.
  • After reboot, post the contents of the log from Dr.Web in your next reply. (You can use Notepad to open the DrWeb.cvs report)

Mark
Posted Image

#15 RainD

RainD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:46 PM

:thumbsup: I'm going to work on this some more, but for now, I can't get the computer to come up with a beep. I've got Dr. Web CureIt on the desktop, but when I shut down the computer, when it reboots, it goes to the black screen with the Windows icon, then the blue screen saying it's starting up, then the few bars of music and then to the desktop. I've tried to sneak up on it and get it before the Windows icon, but even though I have several seconds between when the light comes on and the icon comes up, nothing happens when I push F8. It always goes to the blue startup screen.

I'm going to see if I can find another way to get to Safe Mode, but if you get this, let me know what you think, please. Since I posted this, I found where you can go into BOOT.INI and click SAFEMODE - I can get there, but SAFEMODE isn't something I can click on. nothing at the bottom of that screen, where you shoudl be able to click, is lighted to where I can click on it.

I've gotten a message about virtual memory being low a couple of times in a week, and I've read that's a sign of a virus. If so, it seems well hidden.

As always, thank you for your time.

Edited by RainD, 03 June 2009 - 09:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users