Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intel 810E Chipset

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yaga

yaga

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 24 May 2009 - 01:12 PM

Hello,

I was recently given a PC by a friend (he said if i could get the hard drive & firewire card out of it, i could keep the rest), & i basically only kept the mobo & RAM.

I've decided to make this a project build.

Brainstorming, i've decided I'm going to try & spend the least amount of money possible to make a working PC.

What i am worried about, is since this mobo is from 1998 I will have limitations in the additional hardware i put on to it.

Do you guys know any of those limitations on an Intel 810E chipset?

I plan on loading Arch Linux on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2009 - 08:19 PM

The 810E was pretty much the low end chipset when it was introduced. It had no AGP slot etc. If you can get it running CHEAP, it might be something for internet use/word processing but for anything more strenuous, it will be a slug. Ideal for a Linux box to experiment with IMHO.

I had this bookmarked for some reason: (I think it had to do with another thread on this forum many months ago)
http://pixel01.cps.intel.com/design/chipse...ht_compare&

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:54 PM

If you can find a brand/model on the motherboard post ot.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 yaga

yaga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:49 PM

The 810E was pretty much the low end chipset when it was introduced. It had no AGP slot etc. If you can get it running CHEAP, it might be something for internet use/word processing but for anything more strenuous, it will be a slug. Ideal for a Linux box to experiment with IMHO.

I had this bookmarked for some reason: (I think it had to do with another thread on this forum many months ago)
http://pixel01.cps.intel.com/design/chipse...ht_compare&

I couldn't thank you enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users