Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opening a file in Word 2003

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tudordoc

Tudordoc

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 27 June 2005 - 04:46 PM

I have just acquired a laptop with Windows XP and Office 2003. The laptop is configured so I have two user identities. One is a local user and one is with me logged onto the hospitals Network

When I want to open a file that already exists when in Word, what happens is not the same for both users.

What I want is to press "open file" then type the begnning of the file name and then - when enough letters have been entered to have just one file in the file list, to have it highlighted in blue so I can then simply press enter for the file to open.
This happens when I log in as networked user.

When I use my local log-on, the single file is listed and outlined in dots but is not highlighted in blue. As a result I have to move the mouse to double click to open it.

It has been suggested that I use shift-alt to change the default active dialogue box but this does not seem to work.

Can anyone help with this preverse problem. It may be a small annoyance but when I do a clinic and repeatedly need to open files, it is really irritating!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:31 PM

When I want to open a file that already exists when in Word, what happens is not the same for both users.

A file that exists where? In the hard drive on your laptop (your documents), or in a file in the network's server? Is it the same for both accounts or is it different?

When you close a word doc where does it save to?

#3 Tudordoc

Tudordoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:37 PM

The files are on the hard drive of the laptop in a folder within c:

The behaviour is different for two accounts on the one laptop

When I close a document it goes to that folder

Any ideas??

TudorDoc

#4 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 30 June 2005 - 04:17 PM

Are you sure it's absolutely necessary to have a second account for use when not on the network? In my experience, a typical domain account will 'cache' the user credentials such that the account can be used from home etc. when the user is away from the network. Having two accounts used by the same user for the same machine would seem to be highly frustrating.

To your point about the "auto complete" issue. I did a little bit of Googling but came up with nothing definative unfortunatly. I suspect that you or your administrator made a choice early on when using one account or the other that instructed Windows to use or not to use auto complete as the case may be. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to undo these changes after they have been selected and the only thing that I can find for Word or Office specifically has to do with using auto-complete in a document, not for the file selection. so I suspect that is a global XP thing.

Try http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm here... if anybody has the auto complete change covered it's bound to be Kelly's Korner.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2005 - 04:20 PM

When you select the option, "open", you get a screen which by default is "my documents", and when you type in the file name (at the bottom of the screen) after a few keys typed it pulls the complete name of the file and you hit enter to open it.

What does the second account say on that screen? Does it default to look in "my documents" or something else? What choice is selected in the left hand pane? "History" or "my documents" or ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users