Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mobo Issues?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stryke297

stryke297

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:57 AM

I recently came across an old emachines T3104. It won't start up. I tested the power supply and the power supply is good, but if I was to test the MoBo I would need the processor connected(I believe). And if it still won't start up then it could be either the MoBo or the processor that is faullty, how do I know which?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 24 May 2009 - 12:39 PM

Substitution of parts...is real-world testing, IMO.

I wouldn't be too sure about narrowing the possibilities.

Louis

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2009 - 12:56 PM

Emacines usually have Bestec power supplies.
Bestec power supplies are best known for going bad & frying the motherboard in the process.
The power supply will still appear to work though.
I have fixed many of them.
New power supply & motherboard.

[BTW, The crummy Bestec power supply is what has given emachines a bad reputation.]
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 stryke297

stryke297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2009 - 02:43 PM

@ hamluis: I never thought to test the power supply but if I would have had another processor of the same socket (754 I believe) I would have tested it. Thanks for your input I'll definitely try a new power supply and look into another motherboard. But what are the chances that it'll need a new processor as well?

#5 stryke297

stryke297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2009 - 03:18 PM

OK, I just hooked up a SPI FSP25-60ATV which is a 250 watt Sparkle Power Int. switching power supply. I put the CPU back in, put a stick of ram back in, connected everything and attached a hard drive, plugged in the power supply and pressed the power button on the front of the case. I thought I heard a slight buzzing noise but I had already switched the power supply to off. I flipped it again and turned the computer back on, I heard a sizzling noise and smoke just started BILLOWING out of the power supply. The bistec power supply still works, Im sure the MoBo is fried, and now this sparkle power supply is fried. Note to self: New power supply, new MoBo, get fire extinguisher.

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2009 - 03:28 PM

Had you tried that Bestec power supply on another computer you would now have 2 dead computers.

I understand keeping cost down but I have NO idea why any co. would intentionally keep putting garbage like Bestec power supplies in their product knowing it's ruining their reputation.
Gateway bought emachine because it was in the toilet & they STILL put bestec power supplies in them.

"I heard a sizzling noise and smoke just started BILLOWING out of the power supply"

I had one do that.
I got a kick out of it.
I was laughing but the person that owned the unit didn't think it was funny.

Edited by fairjoeblue, 24 May 2009 - 03:30 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#7 stryke297

stryke297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2009 - 05:19 PM

I don't understand why the Sparkle power supply fried, but I'm probably going to run the Bistec power supply on a professional testing unit at work(just to see what it says).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users