Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inproperly Uninstalled Program

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 HJT Noob

HJT Noob

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 27 June 2005 - 04:24 PM

Hi, every time I start up the computer, I get a screen telling me that I am missing an important windows file.
"SYSTEM.INI FILE REFERS TO THIS DEVICE FILE BUT IT NO LONGER EXISTS
C:\PRGRA~1\AVPERS~1\AVGUARD.VXP
Press any key to continue"

I have already worked with a Hijackthis expert, and we couldn't figure out how to fully get rid of the program, for the log is perfectly clean. We checked the System.ini file but could not find any references to the file. Afterwards, I looked up the avpersonal programs file, and found that it does not nor ever has existed. Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 03 July 2005 - 03:20 PM

Is it AVGUARD.VXP, or AVGUARD.VXD?

I can't find anything on AVGUARD.VXP.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 HJT Noob

HJT Noob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2005 - 08:36 PM

Sorry, typo. It's a AVGUARD.VXD

#4 bluto

bluto

• Banned
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 03 July 2005 - 11:25 PM

Hi, every time I start up the computer, I get a screen telling me that I am missing an important windows file.
"SYSTEM.INI FILE REFERS TO THIS DEVICE FILE BUT IT NO LONGER EXISTS
Press any key to continue"

I have already worked with a Hijackthis expert, and we couldn't figure out how to fully get rid of the program, for the log is perfectly clean. We checked the System.ini file but could not find any references to the file. Afterwards, I looked up the avpersonal programs file, and found that it does not nor ever has existed. Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

Does this still appear on yor HD ?
Before i uninstall i locate where it is as uninstall leaves thing behind for a later install,so delete this folder if it's still there.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 06:46 AM

Go to Start>Run and open Regedit. Go to Edit>Find and type in the name of the file. When you find it delete the filename wherever it exists by right clicking and delete. Restart the computer and the error should be gone.

Make a boot disk first in case you have a problem and need to restore the registry, although that is very unlikely.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 HJT Noob

HJT Noob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 03:53 PM

Oh thank god, it's finally gone. My pnly problem now is that after installing a couple of drivers for my wireless card, the startup speeds take almost 3 minutes even though the computer only has 3 used gigabytes on it.

#7 bluto

bluto

• Banned
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 10:10 PM

Oh thank god, it's finally gone. My pnly problem now is that after installing a couple of drivers for my wireless card, the startup speeds take almost 3 minutes even though the computer only has 3 used gigabytes on it.

It makes it more worthwile for future searchers to know

"what" fixed It,please add this.

#8 HJT Noob

HJT Noob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 10:18 PM

Oh sorry Bluto. :thumbsup: I went into regedit and searched and deleted AVGUARD.VXD and all other files in the folder. When I restarted the computer, the error message didn't appear. :flowers:

#9 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 10:41 PM

avguard.vxd is an Antivir file or an Avira file - have you recently removed an antivirus program of some kind?

#10 bluto

bluto

• Banned
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 11:40 PM

Some demo's stay in the registry so you can't use them twice,even if uninstalled.
I hope this is spelled and stated better.

Removed unecessary comments~g

Edited by groovicus, 05 July 2005 - 10:10 AM.

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2005 - 04:08 AM

My pnly problem now is that after installing a couple of drivers for my wireless card, the startup speeds take almost 3 minutes even though the computer only has 3 used gigabytes on it.

Do you still have a network card installed? If so, go into Device Manager and put a check mark in "Disable in this hardware profile" if you are not using it. The other alternative is to remove it from Device Manager and physically remove it from the computer. Sometimes with a NIC installed the computer looks for a network connection while booting.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#12 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 02:16 PM

I am assuming that if you took the time to install drivers for your wireless card then you will be using it, so disabling it isn't an option. Win98 will take about 20 to 30 seconds longer to boot when a network card (wireless or not) is installed AND it is configured to obtain an IP address automatically. You can configure it for a static IP address and shave 20 to 30 seconds off of your boot time. Post back if you need help setting a static IP.

#13 HJT Noob

HJT Noob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 08:34 PM

I'm such a noob. What's static IP? How do I set it?

#14 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2005 - 06:02 AM

Quadruple Q missed my meaning. You need to disable the network card that you used with cable or ADSL if that was the case. I was not talking about your wireless card. If the card is still in the computer either disable it or remove it.

I can understand how one persons 3 minutes may seem like another persons 30 seconds.

#15 HJT Noob

HJT Noob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 10:12 AM

Wow, thanks a lot Leurgy. I disabled the old network card using the device manager, and my bootup time as decreased from literally 5 minutes to a little over 1!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users