Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mandriva KDE

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Veridis Quo

Veridis Quo

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:29 PM

Hi guys, I recently began building a PC to replace my windows xp machine, I plan on running Mandriva but I've hit a bit of a snag. After taking the which distro is right for me quiz, I created live disks for each and tried them out. I decided to run Mandriva after burning and running a gnome live disk I decided that I liked KDE more. I burned a KDE disk and went to try it out, it boots to the desktop but lags(mouse take a few seconds to respond clock doesn't change)I figured I had created a bad disk so I burned another, this one won't even make it to the desktop. While this computer hovers around the minimum requirements it was able to run open Suse and Kubuntu perfectly. This is where my doubts of this PC being too over the hill to run KDE4 come in to play. My new PC will be much more advance than this one, but I'm wondering if it's the live disk that's messing up not the computer. Any input is welcomed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chameleon437

chameleon437

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:08 PM

Hi Veridis Quo,

Your machine spec would be a good place to start - i.e., you don't state its spec in your last posting. Personally I am a Sabayon fan and even their key coders think KDE4 is resource hungry and these are people running machines I can only dream about (6Gb beasties!). I would stick to a nice simple, low resource using distro like DreamLinux (but not if you have a wireless keyboard and mouse) or VectorLinux - this should run on just 128 Mb of Ram and a PIII processor if memory serves me right - the former is Debian based and uses xfce4 - very nice 'Mac' style desktop, while VectorLinux is a Slackware variant.

Best regards,
chameleon437

#3 bisquit maker

bisquit maker

• Banned
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:19 AM

Do you have swap available?
This is the top output:
last pid: 15164; load averages: 1.41, 1.36, 1.48 up 0+01:20:02 06:14:49
123 processes: 6 running, 117 sleeping
CPU: 56.3% user, 0.0% nice, 43.8% system, 0.0% interrupt, 0.0% idle
Mem: 183M Active, 1098M Inact, 187M Wired, 164K Cache, 112M Buf, 270M Free
Swap: 600M Total, 600M Free

Now I'm running kde4 on freebsd with Make and using firefox. The requirements for memory will increase by 25 to 50% for Linux.
The processor I have is a sempron 3400+.
It also helps if your graphics and sound cards are PCI and PCIe. Cuts down on cpu stress and mainboard memory.
Another thing is did you check the md5 sum of the disk? You should also use cd-rw for the first successful burn of a disc then make a permanent backup to cd-r.

#4 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 04:57 PM

You should see if the CDs successfully boot in another computer. If they do, then the CDs are good.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users