Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe Mode like..?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 treki215

treki215

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:03 PM

Okay this is really annoying me. For no reason whatsoever, windows suddenly started with this: I boot in normal mode but my computer resembles safe mode. In task manager, only the bare essentials are running even though the computer is in normal mode. The start menu and taskbar are windows classic and I can't change it to windows xp. I can't uninstall programs or access help and support because it says that the service can't be started. To top it off, I can't even access the internet. Everytime I start the alg.exe process manually, it closes within 30 seconds. this problem is very annoying since I have a lot of important stuff to do on the internet. PLEASE HELP!

Somethings you should know:
*I cannot access the internet at all
*I do not have a windows xp disk and can't get one (Stores dont sell them anymore)
In space, no one can hear you scream......

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2009 - 12:23 AM

Kind of sounds like an infection. Do you have any anti-virus or anti-spyware programs available to run? If not, I'd recommend using another computer and download the installers for Malwarebytes' Anti-malware (MBAM) from www.malwarebytes.org AND SuperAntiSpyware (SAS) from www.superantispyware.com. Put these downloads on a flash drive and install them on your computer. You won't be able to update them since you can't access the internet so be sure to uncheck those options towards the end of both installation processes.
Once installed, run a quick scan with MBAM. Remove what it finds and reboot if it tells you to. Then reboot into safe mode and run a quick scan with SAS and remove anything it finds. Reboot. See if you can get online.

Both of these programs generate a log that can be accessed from their main opening screen. Post them both here in your next reply. If you still can't get online, save these logs as text files, copy them to your flash drive, and post them in your reply here from the other computer.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 24 May 2009 - 02:00 AM

You can still buy XP from several places online. I purchased a WP disk from this place years ago with no problems.

I cannot make the link I previously posted to the page with the XP Home disks on it work so I deleted it. Instead you can just go to www.softwareoutlet.com and in the search box type in XP Home. It will bring up a few selections for it.

I also found about a month or so ago that when I called around the stores in my area that a few of them still had some for sale, it might take calling quite a few stores, but you may still be able to buy one locally.

Edited by Stang777, 24 May 2009 - 02:09 AM.

#4 treki215

treki215
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2009 - 12:18 PM

I already have both. Malwarebytes did'nt find any malacious software in a quickscan or full scan. SUPERantispyware found quite a bit of malware which was removed. I restarted computer but same problems persist.

Edited by treki215, 24 May 2009 - 06:04 PM.

#5 treki215

treki215
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 02:14 PM

I believe I found the problem. I checked my services using services.msc and EVERY single one is disabled. Does this have anything to do with this?

#6 Sunildev

Sunildev

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 03:44 PM

Well, the question to be asking is why were they listed as disabled. A typical safe mode boot, runs essential services. The fact that the pc is even showing the desktop means that what youre seeing in the services snap-in is obviously something nefarious. Perhaps you can post a log of what SAS found?

To retrieve a previous scan log of SAS:

Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
They are dated, so you can easily find the last one.

Sunil.
Sunildev.

#7 treki215

treki215
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2009 - 11:28 AM

ok heres all the logs of my SUPERantispyware.

#8 treki215

treki215
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:44 PM

well i gave up. I brought a windows xp disk off craigslist and reinstalled windows. everything is working fine now so this topic can be closed. thanks for the help anyways guys.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:03 PM

Every user...ought to have the ability to reinstall/repair the system from a CD/DVD of the O/S...and/or a backup. Feedback appreciated :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users