Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need advice on recordable media

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vegassounder

vegassounder

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:06 PM

I just purchased a Sony set top DVD-VCR combo so I can archive some of my VHS tapes to DVD.
I have no idea what type of recordable media will give me the best results.
Below is a list of the media I copied from the Sony spec. sheet.
Will someone please advise me as to what these various media can and can not do?
Thank you for any info you can give me.

Playable Media CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-RAM, SVCD, DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD, CD, Video CD, DVD+R DL

Recordable Media DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD+R DL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:12 AM

DVD+R DL will give you the most storage space (dual layer) but typically, any ol DVDR or DVDRW will work, though be warned DVDRWs can be erased and rewritten. which is a good thing if you want to erase and reuse, bad thing if you got computer literate friends in the house who would rather record the ball game over your old don knotts movie. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:06 AM

http://www.proactionmedia.com/dvd_media_formats.htm

The above is probably overkill for what you asked, but I buy CD-R and DVD-R cheap packs of 50 or 100 and have never had a problem with them.
Dual Layer DVD (DVD9) are still very expensive but will hold up to about 8.5GB. Normal DVDs (DVD5) will hold 4.7GB. A CD will hold 702MB. You do not use RW (rewritables) for permanent storage as they will fade over time. Most modern burners will handle + or - formats equally, but check your own gear for compatibility.

You can burn audio and video straight to CD, but you need a program like IMGBURN to build an ISO file of video before you write that ISO to DVD.

To burn a CD, simply right click on the files you wish to burn and ADD to Windows Media Player. Go to WMP, click the BURN button, and choose 'Burn Now Playing'. Then click the START BURN button at the bottom of the right hand pane, insert your CD and wait 20-30 seconds, and it will start and be all done in about 3 minutes.

Edited by rowal5555, 25 May 2009 - 07:22 AM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:00 PM

Last post is general comments only. Of course you will have a manual for copying VHS to DVD if your machine can do this.

Edited by rowal5555, 25 May 2009 - 03:24 PM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users