Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Live Messenger Remote Assistance stops all internet connections

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 alt3rn1ty

alt3rn1ty

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 23 May 2009 - 06:15 PM

Hello, I am trying to connect a family member using Windows Live messengers Remote assistance.

Previously we a were both on windows XP and all worked fine, same setup, both using Live messenger for remote assistance.

Problem....
Now I am on Vista SP1 on a new machine, He requests assistance from me, I accept, my whole internet connection stops.

My setup is the same as before, cable modem, connects to router which is the DHCP server, all my machines connect to router with LAN cables or WIFI. I have the router get IP addresses automatically from the ISP, LAN connections have reserved addresses for each machine, and Wifi connects with WPA/PSK encryption/63 character random password and only accepts my machines mac addresses for such connections.

I have tried the remote connection using both wifi and LAN cable, each occasion I get the same result, just after I accept at my end my internet connection fails for any/all machines connected at the time.

Otherwise I have a superb internet connection with 10mb consistent download speeds, (apart from the odd problems with wifi disconnecting which is solved in my area by changing channels, I think we have too many wifi connections locally).

Anyone any idea why Remote assistance kills our internet?

After the connections go dead I just power down the router, power up and everyone is back to normal until I try the remote assistance again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Linio Alan

Linio Alan

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:28 PM

My advice: try do the remote assistance using another pc. If you get sucess on connection you found the trouble. Do you agree?

#3 alt3rn1ty

alt3rn1ty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:07 AM

Hi Linio, thanks I could connect with the old desktop on XP and lan, but wanted to shift all machines over to vista, to continue supporting family members remotely in the future and was having the same problem on two laptops with vista.

Since then we had another problem with the router and decided it was time to replace it with a wifi N version for better connectivity and less interference. Also now have vista service pack 3 installed, and have totally re-installed both laptops to dual boot vista and fedora 11 linux (I wasnt happy with relying on the hidden partition for recovery which in the future could also corrupt and leave us without a windows OS, so re-partitioned and went from scratch)....

Long story short - Problem solved but no clue whether it was a vista problem or router, or me being too security concious and disabled a service/unmade a firewall exception which could have prevented the connection.

For anyone else searching the same problem, sorry I couldn't find the exact cause either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users