Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Help me with an older pc.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 akakatejones

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 27 June 2005 - 03:09 PM

Hi my name is Star. The computer Iím dealing with is model: Gateway2000. I donít know what year it was bought in, Iím thinking mid nineties. Anyways, the problem is simply the computer wonít run properly. I turn the PC on a black screen appears saying: F1 to resume, F2 setup. I press F1 and it says that file WIN.COM is corrupt and COMMAND.COM is corrupt. So it wonít let me move on from there. I press F2, another screen comes up and itís asking for a password I donít have or know. I should let you know that itís running on Windows 95. I tried to reinstall the Windows but nothing will come up.

I would appreciate any help. Thank you so much! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 27 June 2005 - 10:03 PM

Hi Star,

Looks like there is a password set on the BIOS - if you are comfortable going inside the machine and swapping over a jumper you can clear the BIOS to start afresh but its probably not going to help your problem at the moment.

Do you have a Windows 95 CD? You said you tried to reinstall but nothing would come up - how were you trying to do that? Do you have a boot floppy?

If you are happy to loose everything on the hard drive you can do a clean install of Win95 (though Win98SE would be a lot better - any chance of obtaining that?) but you will need a boot floppy. If you have access to a Win98 machine you can create a "startup floppy" which would be ideal to use in your machine. Go to Control Panel, Add/Remove programs and there is a tab for 'startup disk'. If not you can download a boot floppy from www.bootdisk.com

Here is my blurb for a Win98 install, just put 95 instead of 98 in your case:

Then these are the steps I would recommend:

1. Boot from the startup floppy with CDROM support and at the A: prompt type "FORMAT C:" without the quotes. If you are sure answer "Y" to the warning.

2. Put the Win98 CD in the CDROM drive. Because of the way the startup disk boots this will most likely be your E: drive.

3. At the A: prompt type "C:" (no quotes) return, then "MKDIR WIN98" return. This should make a new directory on your hard drive called WIN98. Check this by typing "DIR".

4. At the C: prompt type "E:" then DIR, you should see several directories listed including one called WIN98. If not you are on the wrong drive and you need to try different drive letters until you find your CDROM. When you see WIN98 type "CD WIN98" then "COPY *.* C:\WIN98". This will copy the contents of the Windows folder to your hard drive (which makes installation and future changes easier).

5. When the copy is done type "C:\" then "CD WIN98". Do a DIR to check there are files ending in CAB present. then type "Setup".

6. Now you are in the Windows 98 installation program and you follow the prompts.

Good luck!

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users