Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

another 'should i upgrade or buy' question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 brisboarder

brisboarder

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 23 May 2009 - 01:13 PM

I would like some advice on what i could do to my computer to make it faster/better. I have a new fan, int 250gb hd, ext hd. I doubled the ram to 512 years ago. Is it worth more ram? at about $50 for 1gb im not sure of that. What else might i change? cpu? anything you might suggest? Im not a noob, but take it slow as its been a while since i did anything to my system. I am open to suggestions on a new system, but my budget is SMALL, so maybe an upgrade is best. thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 23 May 2009 - 01:44 PM

Specs for your system, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...ocname=bph07909

That PC was introduced over 8.5 years ago...IMO, it's foolish to think of putting more money into a system that old. Not because the system is inoperable or dysfunctional, but because the availability of parts and the price thereof for a system which is not near-current...leads to nothing but a band-aid approach to running the system.

Rather I would suggest considering a system that is not necessarily new...but would be more recent, have newer components, and be considerably faster...without costing as much as a new system today.

FWIW: http://www.pricewatch.com/computer_systems...n_x2_4200-0.htm Another advantage of going this route is that buyers actually get a CD/DVD of the operating system, highly useful when things go wrong. Considering that the value of such is approximately $90 today...there's a place for these systems in many homes, IMO.

FWIW: http://www.dell.com/content/products/categ...=dthp&s=dhs

Louis

FWIW: The availability of credit terms...minimizes immediate outlay considerations.

Edited by hamluis, 23 May 2009 - 01:46 PM.

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:17 PM

You could always reformat the hard drive, and do a fresh install of windows. This will make the computer run like new.

After so many years of installing, uninstalling, adding, and deleting files, your installation of windows can get bogged down. You should download drivers for your hardware beforehand, and backup all your files. Unfortunately, if you do go through with it, your programs will be lost, but you will of course be able to reinstall them.

If you're just browsing the internet on that computer, it should run fine. Some things may run a bit sluggish, but you'll have to get a different system if you really want more performance as hamluis suggested.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users