Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:24 AM
Let me give some more detail in hopes of getting some help. Here is exactly what I have tried:
1) Boot up computer with original Vista boot disk. select "Repair Your Computer"
2) Get "System Recovery Options" window. Window says to select OS I want to repair, but no installations are listed.
3) Option exists to Load Drivers for Hard Disk, but I'm not sure how to do this. Have inserted Western Digital disk that came with drive but only file that it seems to recognize as file type "Setup information" is Autorun file. Can't change file type in menu from "Setup information".
4) After canceling, and hitting "Next" to proceed through this menu without selecting an OS installation, "System Recovery Options Menu" pops up and I can select "Startup Repair"
5) "Startup repair" seems to work. Log file shows "Root Cause Found: The partition table does not have a valid System Partitition" and then "Repair Action: Partition Table Repair.
6) After this, I hit "Finish" and the system reboots but still have "Error Loading OS".
I'm not sure steps 4 or 5 are menaingful since I am not finding the OS Installation in steps 2 and 3, but am not sure how to find it.
At this point, I am considering getting a new HD and installing Vista fresh on it and recovering what I can off old HD.
Would appreciate any help I can get...