Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Backup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Robynsleo

Robynsleo

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 23 May 2009 - 12:38 PM

How much space should a backup take?

I started by putting my backup on DVD, but after using 8 DVDs, I quit. So then I obtained a 40GB hard drive, reformatted it and used it for backup. After about 4 hours, it was getting close to the end and then abruptly quit and said there wasn't enough space. Ok, yes I have used 142 GB of my 500 GB hard drive, but will the backup take 142GB? Doesn't it compress it?

Is there a way I can decide what file types or files get backed up and what doesn't?

Edited by Robynsleo, 23 May 2009 - 12:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 exile360

exile360

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 24 May 2009 - 12:28 AM

Greetings :huh: .

You might have a look at this MS Technet article. It explains how the different types of Vista backups work, how to change its settings and how to control its size :huh: .

#3 Zepx

Zepx

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 24 May 2009 - 02:22 AM

Hi,

it is recommended that you backup not via optical disk. Try using external hardisk. There are backup programs out there. Maybe you can give it a try.

#4 exile360

exile360

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2009 - 04:04 AM

That's true if you're backing up large amounts of data, but a third party tool shouldn't be needed as Vista's built in back up tool will allow you to back up to a hard disk or external drive if you wanted to.

#5 Robynsleo

Robynsleo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:58 AM

Thank you for the article. It helped me understand how it backs things up, but I'm concerned with my failed backup due to lack of space. There are some applications and such that I don't care to have backed up. Is there a way to exclude those?

#6 exile360

exile360

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:32 PM

Unfortunately if you're using the complete PC backup option, no there isn't. However, if you're only doing a file back up you can pick what types of files to save.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users