Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with crashes druing XP Pro startup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Staticu

Staticu

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 27 June 2005 - 02:28 PM

Hey, I'm running into an interesting problem with a computer I'm trying to fix for a friend - It crashes and automatically reboots immediately after the dialog box that says 'Loading your personal settings' closes. This is a looping process, where XP will restart just before it finishes loading...

The computer is able to boot into safe mode though... Here is what I have already done to try and fix the problem:
-Removed all unnecessary programs from the startup list in msconfig
-Ran several virus checks, as well as removed all spy/adware
-Ran two system restores, the first was to the most recent checkpoint - problem persisted, so I went to the point before that...

I figure I could reinstall XP, and I'm confident that the problem would be fixed then, but I don't have an XP disc handy, and I would like to try and avoid reinstalling the OS if I can...

The computer is an emachine, not sure of the model, but it has a 2800+ Athlon XP, 512 RAM, 120 gig HD, running XP Pro with SP1 - I have tried upgrading to SP2, but I was unable to run Windows Update in Safe Mode with Networking - to connect to the update servers... I don't remember for sure, but for some reason I'm thinking Windows Update doesn't work in Safe Mode...

Well - that about sums it up - thanks for taking the time to look at this - and a double thanks for all those who respond :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 27 June 2005 - 03:39 PM

Hi you can use safe mode with support from networking and also have you got on the screen anywhere any STOP MESSAGES with numbers after it if so reply back and i might be able to help you with what they mean only i have a xp book called windows xp inside out written by microsoft await your reply.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 Staticu

Staticu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 11:08 AM

Thanks man :thumbsup:

Yea I know you can have networking support in safe mode, I was just thinking for some reason that Windows Update wouldn't work in safe mode, I keep getting error messages when I try to use it from the problematic machine... I was able to get into the event viewer so I can finally post the error messages recorded by the machine:

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
AmdK7
Fips

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
--------
The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 8007043C from line 44 of d:\nt\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
-------
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040206.

#4 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 28 June 2005 - 07:16 PM

sorry i just got back, did you follow the links only i looked up the error message and it came up as if a program is playing up, which we no it is. when you followed the link what did you get
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 07:27 AM

Those are pretty low level errors. Fips is a program for splitting hard drive partitions and AmdK7.sys is a throttling utility for the CPU. This almost sounds like Bios corruption or a motherboard problem.

What was happening immediately before this crash?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users