Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot S&D

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nexus6

nexus6

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 27 June 2005 - 02:03 PM

Has anyone else had any issues with Spybot Search and Destroy? Had it on my computer for a while but it left a lot of S$%t in my hosts file and I suddenly started having all kinds of spyware, malware, hangs and crashes on my system.

:thumbsup: Maybe I got a bad version.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2005 - 02:58 PM

From some accounts posted in other forums, the new release apparently has some bugs. If you do a search on this forum for Sypbot, I believe there is a link to an earlier version.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 09 July 2005 - 12:38 AM

:thumbsup: Hi, I think that maybe you should go and read that tutorial thing that comes with SpyBot S&D. It has some instructions in there that tell you something that you've got to do when you first set it up.

That is if you have just gotten the newest version. It also tells you "That If You Do Not Read It", then your gunna have just what you got, "BUGS!"

I read it, did what they said, and I am as happy as butter on toast with it.

So You might be blaming them too quick, read that stuff, and then check out the settings that they tell you to check, and that might help calm your nerves.

:flowers: Bye Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2005 - 07:12 AM

I'm curious Wendy. Have you not noticed the problems with Spybot S & D's registery alert dialog box's? There are some bugs assoiciated with the graphic's on the user interface. This issue may of been what jgweed was speaking of.

Posted Image

I have been paying close attention to this matter. They are working towards an updated version. Patric Kolla explains it here:

Small bugs in TeaTimer    22. June 2005
Many of those who're using our new version 1.4 have already noticed an obvious bug: on the Registry Warning dialog, the buttons are misplaced and partly hidden by the checkbox text. But while every software has some bugs, this is one that shouldn't have been necessary. It comes from a bug in our development environment - Borland Delphi - that automatically rearranges graphical items on the user interface every time one works on the project, which basically means about half an hour of work correcting everything each morning before the actual work can begin. And sometimes, like in this case, the errors created by Delphi even sneak into final releases. We will release an updated version as soon as we've fully tested some workarounds.

Posted Image

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2005 - 07:18 AM

Most members will advise you to have more than one anti-spyware application on your computer, because of the difference in how each company defines spyware. Another very good application is Ad-AwareSE. Run both with updated definitions.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 10 July 2005 - 02:37 PM

Hi Scarlett, you said >>

I'm curious Wendy. Have you not noticed the problems with Spybot S & D's registery alert dialog box's? <<

This is going to make me sound kind of "DUMB" here, but I am going to ask it anyway = How do I get to the registry alert dialog box's that you are talking about?

Shoot! I have spybot s&d v 1.4 last updated 8 July 05. I think that I have what they call the latest build, and unless it has another name I can not find it. Would you please point me to it?

About nexus6, I just remember that, when I first up-graded from the old v of spybot, I had to do some reading because they were describing "What you had better do" if you wanted to avoid the problems :thumbsup: like the ones nexus6 is having.

I have to recommend that nexus6, go back to the download site, re-read all of the instructions for installing v 1.4, and then do exactly what they say to do, because those were the instructions that told you what to do so that you would not be leaving any ad/spyware behind.

:flowers: Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2005 - 08:08 AM

Hi Scarlett, you said >>

I'm curious Wendy. Have you not noticed the problems with Spybot S & D's registery alert dialog box's? <<

This is going to make me sound kind of "DUMB" here, but I am going to ask it anyway = How do I get to the registry alert dialog box's that you are talking about?

You will not see an registery alert dialog box unless, TeaTimer detects, that something wants to change some critical registry keys.
BTW You do have the latest version.
Posted Image

#8 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2005 - 06:43 PM

Hi scarlett, Thanks, there for a minute I thought that I had something that I could not find.

I really still think that they just need to read all that small print and do like it says so that spybot will snag all of that bleep, and not leave anything for them to complain about later.

Shoot I almost ran off without reading all of that stuff, but something made me take a second look, glad that I did. Bye

:thumbsup: Wendy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users