Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer keeps freezing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dachcoops

dachcoops

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:43 PM

Hi, I was referred to this section from the HijackThis forum. Here is the thread and the procedures I completed:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/224848/my-hijackthis-log/

As it says in the thread, my computer keeps freezing after a little bit. Sometimes it lasts for a while, while other times it freezes up after like 5-10 minutes. For example, I was in Word and everything was working perfectly fine until I clicked save--which is when the screen froze. I could still move my mouse around, but the thing was frozen and could not click anything else. I can try clicking ctrl-alt-delete,, and while the task manager shows in the taskbar next to the clock in the bottom right, it does not appear on the screen. Eventually I will not be able to move my mouse and will have to reboot my computer manually from the power button. I think it has something to do with the svchost.exe applications in my processes part of the task manager because i don't remember seeing those before.

I use a Windows XP SP3.

Thank you in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gareth_f

gareth_f

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 23 May 2009 - 05:32 AM

Well svchost.exe is an essential windows process; it is not uncommon to see multiple instances running at once. How long does your computer have to be on before it starts freezing? You need to figure out if this is a hardware or software problem, so I would check a few things: check if your computer is overheating and clean it out; check your hard drive by running a diagnostic tool on it (i know WD has one called data lifeguard); run Memtest to check for bad memory.

See if any of this helps.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:54 AM

Possible reference re the COM errors, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916254

How much RAM is installed on the system?

Louis

Edit to add reference, Event Viewer log, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&id=21368

Additional reference, http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=38326&p=211356

Edited by hamluis, 23 May 2009 - 11:01 AM.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 23 May 2009 - 01:54 PM

Try running CHKDSK .

Open My Computer
Right click on the C drive
On the menu click Properties
When the box opens click the Tools tab
Where it says Error Checking click Check now
When the little box opens where it says Check disk options click on both boxes to put checkmarks in them.
Click Start
You will get a mrssage, Can't run now yadda yadda run at next startup.
Click Yes
Close out to the desktop
Restart the computer
Let it run the check & start to the desktop on it's own.

When it has fully restarted,

Open My Computer
Right click on the C drive
On the menu click Properties
When the box opens click on the Tools tab
Click on Defragment Now
Defrag the C drive.
[It may take a few & if the screensaver comes on it will quit working until you use the keyboard or move the mouse]
When it ha finished the defrag restart the computer.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users