Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have 2 files that keep getting bigger

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 and2002

and2002

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 27 June 2005 - 01:14 PM

I was wonder if it's ok to delete these files, because I have a small 10gb hard drive, and these just keep getting bigger....

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2005 - 01:31 PM

Heres the role and fix for hyberfil.sys

Windows XP has a feature that is not very well documented and it will be totally new to users of older systems such as Windows 95 or 98. This new feature is called Windows hibernation. Instead of shutting down and restarting your computer, Windows takes a snapshot of everything running on your system, copies it to the hard drive and then turns off most of your hardware. To wake up from hibernation you normally move the mouse or hit the spacebar on the keyboard.

In theory, it is supposed to be a quick shortcut or power saving option that allows you to leave your PC in suspended animation until you are ready to work again. However, in practice, most people find little time difference between shutting down and using hibernation. For people who use drive imaging to backup their system, the hiberfil.sys file can bloat the backup files - making them larger (sometimes over 1GB bigger!) and therefore slower to copy/restore.

Hibernation temporarily 'freezes' the computer when the PC becomes inactive, so it won't work if you have tasks running constantly (eg downloading files). However it can be handy if you want the computer to sleep after a task has completed (such as creating a video).

OK, that's the role of hibernation - so what is the hiberfil.sys file and why is it so big? Hibernation takes everything in memory and writes it to your hard drive as the hiberfil.sys file. If you have 512MB of memory, then hiberfil.sys will be about 512MB. If you have 1GB, the file will be around 1GB. The important point to remember is that even if you don't use hibernation, hiberfil.sys will still take up this huge amount of disk space. The way to remove the file is to turn off the hibernation feature (by default, hibernate is activated automatically when XP is installed). Here's how to do it:

Open the Windows Control Panel
Double-click Power Options
Click the Hibernate tab, de-select the 'Enable hibernate support' check box, and then click Apply.
Restart your computer and hiberfil.sys will be automatically deleted.

#3 and2002

and2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2005 - 01:36 PM

I have 512MB DDR Ram....Thanks btw....So I shouldn't touch the pagefile?

( I already knew what hibernation was btw.. :thumbsup: just didn't know all that much ABOUT it :D )

Edited by and2002, 27 June 2005 - 01:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users