Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Skype Phone Service

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 diego88

diego88

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 27 June 2005 - 12:49 PM

Hello!!

Has anyone looked into this company and how good the phone service works??

Thanks,

diego88

www.skype.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 27 June 2005 - 05:17 PM

Doesn't look Free to me.

SkypeIn prices

SkypeIn numbers are sold on a subscription basis:
a 12 month subscription is Ä 30 and 3 months is Ä 10.

SkypeOut
.... a low cost way to make calls from Skype to friends who still use those traditional landlines or mobile phones. That means calling anyone, anywhere in the world at local rates. .... you can save up to 56% per minute compared with AT&T CallVantageSM. .... select the amount of credit you wish to add and make the payment with any major credit card. Switch back to Skype, enter a phone number, hit the big, green phone button and start talking. Thatís all there is to it. When you run out of credits, itís just a quick trip back to the account page to top up and youíre good to go again.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 diego88

diego88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 09:07 AM

I think it was only free when calling someone else using Skype. (Like the free walkie talkie feature on Nextel phones) Otherwise there is a fee as you stated. I do not have high speed internet so I cannot use it anyway, but, I did wonder about it and have not had time to investigate further.

Thanks for your input tg1911

diego88

#4 Allen.H

Allen.H

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 28 June 2005 - 03:39 PM

I have skype installed and find it very good, the calls skype to skype i.e computer to computer and are all free to anywhere in the world. You only have to pay for calls if you are calling a landline from the computer, but you do need broadband (dsl). I talk to people in the States and Australia. you just have to watch the time zones :thumbsup:

#5 diego88

diego88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:09 AM

Cool. Thanks Allen.H. It sounds like it could be a great service if I knew other people with that service and had broadband myself. Something to keep in mind for sure. :thumbsup:

#6 p&dora

p&dora

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:37 AM

Hello!!

Has anyone looked into this company and how good the phone service works??

Thanks,

diego88

www.skype.com

Hello there: I have Skype and very often talk to a friend in Brooklyn (I am in South Carolina) sometimes as long as 3 hours and the service is excellent and the clarity excellent also. Yes, you do need dsl and whomever you talk to must have Skype also. Have not talked to any one overseas so cannot vouch for that.
Windows XP Home, 1200 GL Intel Pent 4, Dell Dimension 4550, 512 MB Ram,XP2, Lexmark X75, OE6, IE6Firefox 1.0.2,Spywareblaster, CC 1.18.099, Adaware SE 1.05, PhishGuard, Road Runner cable, Computer Associates FW and AV

#7 p&dora

p&dora

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:41 AM

I think it was only free when calling someone else using Skype. (Like the free walkie talkie feature on Nextel phones) Otherwise there is a fee as you stated. I do not have high speed internet so I cannot use it anyway, but, I did wonder about it and have not had time to investigate further.

Thanks for your input tg1911

diego88

It is my understanding that you do have to establish credit if you are calling anyone overseas who does not have Skype. In other words they have a regular land line. It is still extremely cheap though.
Windows XP Home, 1200 GL Intel Pent 4, Dell Dimension 4550, 512 MB Ram,XP2, Lexmark X75, OE6, IE6Firefox 1.0.2,Spywareblaster, CC 1.18.099, Adaware SE 1.05, PhishGuard, Road Runner cable, Computer Associates FW and AV

#8 diego88

diego88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 12:27 PM

Great. Thanks p&dora!!

Sounds like it works great for you. I will now definitely keep this option open if the time comes to need this type of service.

#9 p&dora

p&dora

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 12:43 PM

:thumbsup: You are very welcome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users