Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No hard drive found in bios

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cincwybbw

cincwybbw

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 22 May 2009 - 04:33 PM

I have a toshiba a135 4656 laptop, That needed the hard drive replaced. So I bought a western digital scorpio. It is not recognised in the bios. The dvd rom works, soon as I pop it in widows Vista tries to load, so I go to install it and it tells me no HDD found either. I plugged in the internet it shows it reading too. Everything is reading fine but the hard drive.

I was going to reset the cmos however they have the battery soldered in. The HDD light on front blinks for a few minutes then stops, I thought it was a defective hard drive but this is the second one I have bought.

It there something I can use to check the mother board? I tried the Western digital apps and burnt the iso file they advised but it wont work either.

I have taken the whole laptop apart and checked all the cables, didnt notice nothing out of the way in there that looked bad.

If its the mother board would all the other functions still work?

Any help or suggestions you give me will be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cincwybbw

cincwybbw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2009 - 02:16 PM

Can anyone help me with this issue?

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:56 PM

welcome to bleepingcomputer!

Are you able to try the original hard drive in another laptop, or in an external enclosure? While you're at it, try the replacement drive too.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 cincwybbw

cincwybbw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:25 PM

I have no way to test it, but it is brand new so I dont think its that type of issue.

I just found a newer version of the bios sent out by toshiba at the request of intel, so now i am trying to flash the bios again. who knows what might happen now..lol

Seems to take forever to even get into the bios.

I can see its trying to read the hard drive because the light on the front blinks for a few minutes.

Well the bios update took on the pc...still no hdd showing in the bios...GRrrrrr

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:16 PM

Is the drive IDE or SATA. What lead you to beleive the drive was bad? It could be an issue with the controller board (motherboard).

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 cincwybbw

cincwybbw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:21 PM

My daughter dropped my laptop, and it froze up, we had to reboot it and the old hard drive started to read, then it went blank. I bought a new hard drive, and it whined and clicked and shut down, so much for ebay..lol So I bought a new western digital scorpio sata hard drive. Now it wont even read in the bios.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:24 PM

Could be somethign loose in the laptop. I have had dropped laptops knock all kinds of stuff loose included memory, cmost batteries, power boards etc. I would check for loose items inside the laptop.. Proceed with caution and take pictures of screw locations if this is your first laptop dissasembly, also keep the screws separate IE: back panel, keyboard side, internal etc..

edit:Here is a youtube.com video on dissasembly of that laptop.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 26 May 2009 - 09:26 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#8 cincwybbw

cincwybbw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:31 PM

I already took it apart and checked loose cables, smelled it for burnt parts, checked for anything and everything. Its strange because I can hear it getting power, the hard drive light lights up and blinks..the dvd rom works, the internet works..it appears all systems go until I try to locate the hard drive via, bios or windows set up.

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:40 PM

IS your bios set up for IDE emulation or SATA? Are there any jumpers or anything on the new drive?

Chad Mockensturm 

#10 cincwybbw

cincwybbw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:43 PM

There are no jumpers, in the bios there is no way to change it from ide to sata.

this is the hard drive i bought if it helps

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/ph...hp?p_faqid=1410

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:00 AM

That link shows a jumper for some settings. Do you know how your old drive was set up?

Chad Mockensturm 

#12 cincwybbw

cincwybbw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:20 AM

Well I bought it in 2007 so its not very old. It came with vista pre installed , I do have the setup disks for it and they read just fine, but when i go to install it no hard drive in found.

If something was wrong with the motherboard would all the functions work other than the hard drive reading?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users