Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton 360 asking me to uninstall Webroot Spysweeper

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hyperviolet

hyperviolet

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 22 May 2009 - 03:37 PM

Hello,
I have three PC computers, all with XP Pro operating systems. One is a laptop from 2005, one is a Desktop from 2008 and one is a second laptop from 2009.

On the '05 laptop I have an expired version of Spysweeper and an expired version of Norton Anti-Virus 2007

On the '08 desktop I have a currently active paid subscription to Spysweeper and Norton Anti-Virus 2008

On the '09 laptop I don't have anything yet

I've been having a lot of problems with the '08 desktop and I believe it may be infected with several viruses that Norton AV 2008 and Spysweeper are not fully picking up, so I figured the best option would to buy the newest and supposedly best version of Norton for all 3 computers; Norton 360. So just now I purchased a 1-year subscription to Norton 360 and first installed it on the '09 laptop, then went to the '05 laptop to install it there too and it told me that, in order for it to work, I had to uninstall Spysweeper and get it off my computer. I did this since Spysweeper is expired on that computer, but I still have an active paid subscription to Spysweeper on my '08 desktop so I'd rather not waste the rest of my subscription by uninstalling it so that Norton 360 can run. I like Spysweeper and have been impressed with its results and it has often times caught things that Norton has not, so that's another reason why I'd rather not get rid of it.

So my question is, is there any way to keep Spysweeper on my '08 Desktop computer and install Norton 360 as well and have them both up and running?

Thanks for any help on this matter.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 22 May 2009 - 04:45 PM

Hi hyperviolet and welcome,

McAfee acts in a similar way with regards to Spybot S&D.

Try uninstalling Spysweeper first, reboot, install Norton, reboot and then reinstall Spysweeper.

Good luck,

#3 hyperviolet

hyperviolet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:49 PM

After googling "Norton 360 spysweeper" I've found a lot of sites talking about how they conflict with each other and cause problems like Windows not being able to start up...for example:

www.askageek.com/2008/10/26/are-norton-360-and-spy-sweeper-conflicting-with-one-another/

Any chance this will happen to my computer if I do what you say and uninstall Spysweeper, install Norton 360, then re-install Spysweeper afterwards?

#4 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:32 AM

Can't say with any certainty as I don't use either product. Best to contact each vendor for clarification.

Norton 360 Offical Forum

Webroot don't seem to have an offical forum, but you can Email their Customer Support for assistance.
http://support.webroot.com

#5 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 28 May 2009 - 05:45 PM

Hello,
I have three PC computers, all with XP Pro operating systems. One is a laptop from 2005, one is a Desktop from 2008 and one is a second laptop from 2009.

On the '05 laptop I have an expired version of Spysweeper and an expired version of Norton Anti-Virus 2007

On the '08 desktop I have a currently active paid subscription to Spysweeper and Norton Anti-Virus 2008

On the '09 laptop I don't have anything yet

I've been having a lot of problems with the '08 desktop and I believe it may be infected with several viruses that Norton AV 2008 and Spysweeper are not fully picking up, so I figured the best option would to buy the newest and supposedly best version of Norton for all 3 computers; Norton 360. So just now I purchased a 1-year subscription to Norton 360 and first installed it on the '09 laptop, then went to the '05 laptop to install it there too and it told me that, in order for it to work, I had to uninstall Spysweeper and get it off my computer. I did this since Spysweeper is expired on that computer, but I still have an active paid subscription to Spysweeper on my '08 desktop so I'd rather not waste the rest of my subscription by uninstalling it so that Norton 360 can run. I like Spysweeper and have been impressed with its results and it has often times caught things that Norton has not, so that's another reason why I'd rather not get rid of it.

So my question is, is there any way to keep Spysweeper on my '08 Desktop computer and install Norton 360 as well and have them both up and running?

Thanks for any help on this matter.

Hi hyperviolet,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

The installer is acting correctly when it is asking you to first remove Spysweeper, which is also a real-time scanner. The rule of thumb is that you never want to have more than one real-time scanner installed or more than one Firewall, as they can cause conflicts and leave your computer vulnerable to infection.

Norton 360 does contain a full-featured Firewall, antispyware, antivirus and many other features to keep your computer protected against threats. One of the best features of Norton 360 3.0 is the "Pulse Updates" feature, which will automatically check for and install definition updates in the background every 5-15 minutes so that you are protected against the latest threats that are discovered.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need any additional assistance with Norton 360, and I would be happy to help.

Thank you,
Mike
Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users