Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replaced master drive... Stuck.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mtngoater

mtngoater

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:31 PM

My Dell Dimension B110 got a bad virus a few months ago. After trying unsuccessfully to remove, I decided to replace the C Drive. I purchased a WD 160 Gb Drive and installed. Made sure the jumper setting was "cable select", same as the old one.

My problem lies in booting up to install the OS. The BIOS is telling me that there is no CD-ROM installed. The computer has two cd drives. One that came with the computer and one CD w/burner, I installed at a later time.

Not sure what to do next. Does anyone have any experience with this problem?

Edited by mtngoater, 22 May 2009 - 08:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 freedonian

freedonian

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 23 May 2009 - 03:31 AM

Hi

When you removed the old hard drive did you remove any other power connectors, i.e. from the CDROM drives to make access to the hard drive easier?

If not have you tried resetting the BIOS. Make sure the PC is turned off and gently remove the battery with a small flathead scredriver, a tester, should be ideal, wait a minute then put it back.

You may need to reset the boot order to boot of CD first.

Let me know how you get on.

All the best

#3 mtngoater

mtngoater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:09 AM

Well i unplugged the computer, removed the battery and that did it!!
Thanks very much.
:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users