Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win98SE Product Key not recognised

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Supermart57

Supermart57

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 27 June 2005 - 11:57 AM

I am trying to install the copy of Win 98SE which came with an old computer I have been given. It is a genuine copy of Win 98SE but the Product key I have is xxxxx-OEM-xxxxxxx-xxxxx (5, 3, 7, 5 characters) but part way through the install a window has come up asking for a key xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx (5 groups of 5 characters).

The install process refuses to accept the OEM key. How can I overcome this problem?
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 27 June 2005 - 03:15 PM

find phone number of customer services at microsoft tell theem your problem and they will issue you with another product key no make sure you have all details ready and they will ask you for cd id no which is stamped on the gold disk i hope this helps you
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 Supermart57

Supermart57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 28 June 2005 - 04:40 AM

Thank you for the advice. I rang Microsoft early this morning. They gave me a new Product Key without any problems and it installed perfectly. The call was only (!) 8.5 minutes.

Then I tried to install the video drivers, they would'nt go on and now the BIOS is beeping three times indicating the base memory has packed up so I think its time for the scrap merchants.

Life is never simple.
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users