Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dad: 'Maybe they should have looked in the trunk'

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 27 June 2005 - 11:52 AM

nibal Cruz, 38, said the family assumed that police looked in the trunk of the car that was parked just steps from where the boys were last seen playing.

"That was the first place to look," Cruz said. "You can look through the windows and check inside. That is simple. Maybe they should have looked in the trunk."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/06/27/nj.boys.ap/index.html

Right.. blame the police, cause it's way easier to put them totally at fault than to admit that maybe the car shouldn't have been there in the first place. I don't know, maybe the doors should have been locked? The trunk should not have been propped open.We remove doors from refrigerators for precisely that same reason (or chain them shut).

By that logic, even though I didn't lock up my gun and ammunition, it's, what, the school's responsibility to teach gun safety so that my child doesn't blow his head off?

As far as I am concerned, somebody should be charged with, at a minimum, child endangerment. Yes, it is terrible he lost a child, but someone obviously isn't responsible enough to be a part of the general population. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2005 - 05:55 PM

Why should the cops have looked in the trunk, if the trunk was closed?
Were they to assume the kids had keys to the car, therefore allowing access to the trunk?
Did anyone tell the cops, that the trunk was usually propped open?
Why didn't the parents notice that the trunk was closed, and not in it's "usual" propped open state?
And as groovicus pointed out, why was the trunk propped open in the first place?

Looks like parental negligence, to me.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 27 June 2005 - 06:24 PM

nibal Cruz, 38, said the family assumed that police looked in the trunk of the car that was parked just steps from where the boys were last seen playing.

"That was the first place to look," Cruz said. "You can look through the windows and check inside. That is simple. Maybe they should have looked in the trunk."

Assume??? Excuse me! Your child is missing, and you are going by assumptions???

They should of looked in the trunk?? Your child is missing, and you did not look yourself?? Especially considering the fact that the trunk was always open. If it were my child, I would leave no stone unturned. The car was right there. :thumbsup:

Those children should of been found safe and sound.
Posted Image

#4 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 27 June 2005 - 06:54 PM

Ok, I may be out of place asking this, but why would three kids climb into a trunk and close it? :thumbsup:
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

#5 groovicus

groovicus
  • Topic Starter

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:32 PM

lol.. man, why did my son shove beans up his nose?

#6 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2005 - 09:12 PM

Sorry, mate, just don sound right to me... y'kno? I did some stupid stuff when I was a kid, like trying to sled off my parent's roof when I was 15 in the winter, but I dunno if i've ever played "let's all pile in the trunk of a car that's derelect in the streets". hey, i could be wrong tho... could be just that they did climb in the trunk. What amazes me is that this wasn't splashed all over the news... maybe I missed it.

I do agree though, the parents are deflecting blame from themselves... prolly a part of the denial stage of grief.

Edited by efizzer, 27 June 2005 - 09:13 PM.

Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

#7 groovicus

groovicus
  • Topic Starter

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2005 - 09:45 PM

I have an inkling that something will come out in the investigation that will implicate one of the parents... maybe not. Perhaps they just wanted to hide from whatever adult was telling them it was time to come in?

#8 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2005 - 10:32 PM

When I first heard of this story it was being assumed that there could have been foul play involved. They were all worried the children had been taken or something bad had happened (and well of course it DID).
The Police could have looked in the ever-lovin' trunk! Be thorough.. SEARCH! When the police search cars... THEY LOOK IN THE TRUNK... don't they?? Am I misinformed about that? Wouldn't looking in the trunk be standard operating procedure?
OK yes of COURSE.. the car shouldn't have had it's trunk propped open. That is an accident waiting to happen isn't it.. I mean what a mistake to have made. The accident happened and I shudder to think of it.
The fact remains though... how hard would it have been to look in the trunk. It's a sad thing that should never have happened.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 05:42 AM

This is a terrible tragedy. The newer cars have a handle in the trunk that allows you to open it from the inside. This is a safety feature that I think is legislated in North America. Perhaps this played into somehow. Did the kids think they could get out? Did anybody else think they could get out?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 08:30 AM

Hmmmm. Let's see. First the trunk was open and the kids were playing around it. Second the kids disappear after just a "few minutes" of playing without supervision. Third, the trunk is now shut tight.
One would think the parents would have seen that closed trunk and investigated before calling the police, who would have seen the shut trunk and assumed it was always shut.
Something just doesn't seem right here, including the overacting shown on TV.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#11 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 08:43 AM

Thank god it's not just me who sees the suspiciousness of the situation.
Posted Image

#12 ~overkill~

~overkill~

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 10:04 PM

why? Hide nseek comes to mind immediately. Kids have a logic all their own. This is exactly what i was saying with the keyloggers thing. Ya have ta b V-I-G-I-L-A-N-T! oh heck, cant we just give em some privacy? let em play in peace for gods sake? Got ta know EVERYWHERE they go? Hell, yes you do! Then to make it worse, now its the cops fault...arent they TRAINED to look in trunks of old cars for kids? watch the next few months, by golly they will be from now on. taxpayer dollas goin to the new class for cops : where kids hide and play 101. meanwhile, ol dads got a coupla mickeys in the fridge gonna go past the born on date soon.

ppl, this is why we HAVE to have the warnings on the McD lids that the coffees gonna be frickin hot. Stupid people blamin bleep on everyone else, specially th gov'ment. why hell, why havent they put a lil thingy on top of ALL cars in the us that signals 911 when theres motion detected in the trunk of a car? seems like that would solve the whole frickin problem right there, yessirreee. hell, lets go sue ol george cuz he shoulda been payin attention to that instead of all those airplanes a few years ago.

WAKE THE %$#@ UP AMERICA! OUR KIDS ARE IN MORTAL DANGER!

go these ppl know what assume does? apparently not

FYI: it makes an ASS out of U and ME

#13 ~overkill~

~overkill~

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 10:06 PM

and by the way...why can i say hell, but i cant say c-r-a-p

#14 groovicus

groovicus
  • Topic Starter

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 10:09 PM

Hell is a, erm, geographical location.... cr-a-p is just gross. :thumbsup:

I really don't know the answer...

And to keep this on topic..I heard on the radio that the autopsies showed the children were alive for at least a day and a half (and nobody heard them?) , and that the families are considering lawsuits against the police.

#15 ~overkill~

~overkill~

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 10:14 PM

OMG, that i didnt need to know in my current unsettled state..bad things happenin to kids really messes muh head up...but whatg i say? here we go. and that answer makes as much sense as anythin ...btw, y arealize were gonna b doin this tag thing all night prolly, right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users