Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AOL IM keeps disconnecting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 carab

carab

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 27 June 2005 - 10:45 AM

I am using a desktop at work, and I use AOL IM to communicate with my co-workers that are in other buildings.

Unfortunately, AOL usually disconnects every 4 to 20 minutes, continually throughout the day.

I know that it is not my ethernet that is disconnecting, because when I check the status of my LAN connection, the duration will be however long my computer has been on.

I've also had some IT people use a sniffer to check on the actual LAN, but they found no problems.

I'm running Windows XP.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 27 June 2005 - 01:26 PM

Are you aware that aim comes bundled with uneeded/spyware applications?
I reccomend using a program like Trillian
It connects to all chat servers including aim, yahoo, msn,icq,irc, and more. Just enter in your account username and password. Much better than aim, and not bundled with cheap software.

Anyway, try reinstalling aim........

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 27 June 2005 - 01:44 PM

Yes AIM comes bundeled with a lot of spyware. I would highly advise you to get Trillian like TechSomething said. I use Trillian and don't regret it. Once you get it, make sure you click on help > check for updates. Cause AIM/ICQ and MSN needs an update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users