Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Desktop Properties Change

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 E86

E86

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 27 June 2005 - 10:24 AM

I share my computer with two other people in my family. Yesterday I noticed that if I put a desktop background on my computer from the internet, it changes my sister's to the same thing, and vice versa. Saved pictures and the backgrounds the computer comes with don't do this, however. Also, the third user on our computer doesn't have this problem, and her settings are all ok.

The other thing that I see on my my account and my sister's is that under properties, under desktop, under background, in addition to a list of all the backgrounds the computer comes with, evey one of my pictures saved under "My Pictures" appears as an option as well. On my account it's all of my saved pictures, and on my sister's it's all of hers.

Besides the background changing between the two accounts, and a now extremly long list of every possible file that can be used as a background, i haven't seen any other problems yet. Just for the heck of it, i ran Spysweeper and Norton AntiVirus, and nothing came up.

It's really annoying, however, to have my settings change. Thank you if you can help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:39 PM

This is a Windows XP machine? What SP level? Do you install the Windows Updates?
What type of User accounts are the three users?

I'm not sure what your problem is but if you give us more info others may be able to help. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 E86

E86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 04:56 PM

My computer is a Windows XP, all three accounts are set as administartor, I do install Windows updates, and I'm not sure what you mean by SP level or how to figure out what mine is.

#4 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 28 June 2005 - 05:45 PM

My computer is a Windows XP, all three accounts are set as administartor, I do install Windows updates, and I'm not sure what you mean by SP level or how to figure out what mine is.

Hey! You say >> all three accounts are set as administartor <<

That is a very bad idea. For security sake there should be only one administrator, two at the most, and the admin accounts should limit their use of the internet to the bare minimum.

Set up limited accounts and use those for scurrying around on the net instead of loging on as an administrator.

Make sure that automatic windows updates is enabled so that you dont have to go rushing around looking for them.

You say >> I'm not sure what you mean by SP level or how to figure out what mine is.<<

SP Level is in reference to the two "Service Packs" that microsoft has released to help patch up win XP. Service Packs are like major overhauls to XP.

I do not know the best way to find out if you have SP1, or SP2 installed, however whenever I go into safe mode it tells me that I have SP2 installed. Check out the corners of your safe mode screen and see if it says anything.

You might rush on over to "Microsoft Baseline Security" and run a security sweep of your system too. That will tell you what security issues, if any, you might have, and recommend what to do to fix them.

Hope that some of this helps you. Bye Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#5 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 06:19 PM

To check your service pack:

control panel>> double click system>> Window should come up on the near top it will say

Microsoft windows xp
Home Edition
Version [here]
Service pack [here]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users