Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

home network

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Helen

Helen

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 27 June 2005 - 10:21 AM

my son has his pc networked to mine. he has been trying to install GUILD WARS but nothing will download from the net. his dad says its because hes on a network. son has installed guild wars on his dads pc instead with no probs. its not just guild wars but other online games too. the only one he can get to work is COUNTER STRIKE.

he's a bit annoyed that he paid 300 for a pc off EBAY that will only play one online game! please please help
My lack of brain cells makes it impossible to insert a witty remark here

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 27 June 2005 - 10:08 PM

Hi Helen,

I'd need to know a few more details about the PCs, the network and the internet connection before I can get an idea what the problem is. Are there firewalls involved? How many PCs are on the network altogether?

Tell us as much as you can, be patient, and you will get help.
:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 Helen

Helen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 04:16 AM

thankyou!

both pc's are xp home.
sons pc: 2.8ghz. 512ram. 64bit integrated graphics.
not got a clue about mine but i think its the same

network is wi-fi G. runs at 54mbps (dunno what that means)

i have norton firewall as well as windows firewall. son has Mcaffee firewall and windows firewall.

son did disable his firewalls to see if it was that.

my apologise but im really new to all this and don't know what info you need

#its cold outside theres no kind of atmosphere, im alone more or less, goldfish shoals nibblin at my toes.....#

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 06:42 AM

Your singing my song! :thumbsup:

No need to apologise, you're doing great!

Ok, first problem is you (both) should have only one firewall on each PC, preferably NOT the windows firewall because its not nearly as good as others. You should only have one firewall and one anti-virus program running on any PC. (although you can have as many anti-spyware programs as you like.)

You're wireless networked between your son's PC and your own, but how is the internet shared, did someone set up ICS or is there a wireless switch/router in the mix somewhere?

You've introduced me to the PCs and the network type, now what about the internet connection?

Edited by Rimmer, 28 June 2005 - 06:50 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 Helen

Helen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 02:42 AM

this ones easy! (i think)

weve got a router. ill tell you what i know (reading from the instructions and box)

on my desk ive got a 4 port ethernet usb wireless-G adsl router

my son has got a little thingy on his windowsill, a wireless-g usb network adaptor.

hope this is of help. i'll be on regular for the next few days as i have more free time.

thankyou rimmer

#hes arnold arnold arnold rimmer, without him life would be much dimmer, hes handsome, trim, and no-one slimmer, he will never need a zimmer. hes arnold arnold arnold rimmer...#

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 04:49 AM

Ahhh! The Red Dwarf serenade! If only Lister could see me now! :thumbsup:

on his windowsill

That's a great name for the taskbar, more people should use that! :flowers:

Ok you have a broadband ADSL service (lucky you) which connects to the router on your desk. You said you have instructions? Does it say anything about having a built-in firewall and if so does it tell you how to configure it?

Also what web browser does your son use - Internet Explorer or Netscape or Firefox or other?

nothing will download from the net

Did you mean literally nothing or just in the context of the games you mentioned?

#7 Helen

Helen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 10:41 AM

dont laugh! im blonde!

ok first i did mean the windowsill!! its a gizmo that sits on the window sill (a wireless adapter i think its called) i know what a task bar is! its a place in a pub that you buy tasks from. jj

adsl broadband is right. doh! why didnt i just say that!

there's no mention of firewalls in the instructions.

the browser he uses is internet explorer.

i have no trouble with my pc or connection at all.

son is into online games (either subscription or one off cost of buying the cd) he has tried a guild wars, counter strike, freelancer and a few others but the only ones he can get to work are counterstrike and runescape.

he has recently downloaded a trial of Unreal 2003. the one player element works but he cant play online,

it appears that his pc doesnt like playing online games! perhaps it antisocial??

have you got the feeling that this query could go on and on and on...?

thanks for your patience on this.

my fave line from RED DWARF:
"red alert, red alert"
"are you sure sir? it does mean changing the bulb"

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 08:19 PM

Windowsill - sorry about that, I'm getting tunnel vision with PCs. I'll have to be more carefull - when I say 'open windows' I don't mean let some fresh air in to the room. :thumbsup:

son is into online games (either subscription or one off cost of buying the cd) he has tried a guild wars, counter strike, freelancer and a few others but the only ones he can get to work are counterstrike and runescape.

So his internet browsing works normally and some games work online but others don't. This is heading out of my field of experience as I've never played any of these games online.

he has recently downloaded a trial of Unreal 2003. the one player element works but he cant play online,

What happens when he tries? Are there specific error messages? Does it locate any game servers? Has he looked at the FAQs on the game site?

#9 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 30 June 2005 - 10:04 PM

Hello there, Sorry for butting in but would there be any chance that it could be a port forwarding at the router? Might pay you to check this site out. I had the same problem on my first network when I first started out......oh the link is:
http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/por...warding-dmz.asp
good luck!
Posted Image
Special thanks to efizzer for the signature

#10 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2005 - 03:41 AM

Following on from Lucents excellent suggestion here's some info from the Atari site:
(re. UT2003)

How to: Firewall, NAT, or Router configuration
    Make sure your firewall, NAT or router has the proper ports open
    For the game to work correctly you need ports 7777,7778,7779, and 27902 to be open in your firewall or router.

If you are unsure how do to this, contact your hardware or software manufacturer.

Maybe your ISP can help you with this?

#11 Helen

Helen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:18 PM

great minds think alike!

been researching this all day via a site called 'portforward' Guild Wars site has a link to it.

to be honest, you've read my posts, how the ecky peck am i meant to understand about port forwarding?!

i'm going to continue researching. its only a bleeping pc for god sake!

hopefully my next post will inform you of success. but i doubt it

thanx for your help :thumbsup:

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:38 PM

You guys are having too much fun. :thumbsup:

The make and model of the router will let us figure out the port forwarding thing. You usually configure the router with your browser.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#13 Helen

Helen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:57 PM

fun? got big bumps on my head where im bashin it up the wall!!

my router is an Aztech dsl600ew or summat like that

cant you tell im blonde? see the vacant expression---> :thumbsup:

#14 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2005 - 07:16 PM

Well its got mapping so thats good. The manual is here. No info there though. Did you get this from your ISP? They can tell you how to do it if you did.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#15 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:24 PM

I think this is Helen's model here, virtually the same specs but it has a built in wireless access point:
http://www.aztech.com/DSL-600EW.htm

There could be a sticker on the bottom of the router which tells you it's IP Address (a bunch of 4 numbers seperated by dots) You type that into your browser window navigation bar (in the same place you might type www.google.com) and it should take you to a router homepage - this is where you can control your router settings, but you will need a password. Whoever set up your son's wireless link must know the password because they would have had to set up the wireless parameters in the router. Any documentation around?

You will be glad to know your router has -

Dying Gasp Support

- a term I am completely unfamiliar with! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users