Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Making Loud Fan Noises While Using XP Pro

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Doot Doot

Doot Doot

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:59 PM

I'm having a strange issue with my PC lately; I have it dual booted for Vista on one partition and XP Pro on another. Previously I was working solely in Vista but for various reasons decided to switch back to XP. I've noticed that when I'm in Vista, my PC will make no noise at all regardless of what I'm doing (unless its something that requires alot of resources then it may make a little noise), while in XP my PC is making loud fan noises constantly (and I'm doing the minimalistic things in XP that I also did in Vista such as IM and browsing the internet for the most part, not to mention I only have msconfig set to startup with basic things related to my graphics drivers and such like I did with Vista, as a matter of fact I'm using the same installed programs on XP that I am on Vista). I can't really narrow down the problem either, the loud noises start as soon as I begin to boot into XP but when I start to boot into Vista they get quieter and quieter until I'm logged in and they stop.
So here's my questions to you, is this a hardware issue or (strangely) a software issue? How could I troubleshoot it to find out which it is and what's causing the fan noise problem? (For further reference I consider myself decent with PCs; I've installed plenty of hardware and done some in-depth Windows stuff before so I don't need a simplified answer; if its new fans I need then feel free to tell me.) I'm guessing you may possibly need more info about specs and such, so go ahead and ask if you need to know anything specific. Thanks in advance, I'd really like to go ahead and resolve this issue (it's driving me crazy)!

EDIT: Sorry if its not my place to say this, but this is more of a hardware issue rather than an audio issue... the sounds are coming from the PC case; its the noise of the fans going too fast and its not coming from any speaker...

Edited by Doot Doot, 22 May 2009 - 01:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:08 PM

The only logical explanation that I could consider...for two different partitions to have different fan issues...would be the condition of the hard drive.

As a first step...I would try running chkdsk /r and then...defragging the partition that seems to require more labor by the system.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users