Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote Administration

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dellscreen

dellscreen

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 27 June 2005 - 09:48 AM

Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of administering my company's (small scale) IT 'department' and have been debating over which remote access solution to use; I've posted in a couple different forums to see what peoples responses would be. I'm responsible for 10 computers at the very least, probably more as we begin to expand into the neighboring space. I've looked at a couple of options: pcAnyWhere, GoToMyPC Corporate, LogMeIn.com's IT Rescue, VNC freeware (leaning away from this as it would be a pain for setups), and Remote Desktop. As of now I'm leaning towards IT Rescue mainly because of it's cost effective and still competitive with the others. I'm open to any suggestions though, so fire away.

Thanks in advance guys,

-Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 27 June 2005 - 05:57 PM

you will get varied responses from different administrators. many of my business clients use symantec for their antivirus and for their remote administration.another network consultant friend of mine uses tight VNC.(freeware) both of us can do what we want. tight vnc uses a web browser to access remotely, pcanywhere uses a client/host type protocol. i am preferring pcanywhere for the comfort level which i have grown accustomed to from working with it. while symantec may not be the absolute best in antivirus protection, i would have to say they (norton and symantec) are the most popular, and updates are done for the both of them at once, cutting down on the update administration. if you should choose to go this route and want some advice with it, e-mail me @ , or leave me a message here. whatever you do, you can get a free dns hosting @ www.no-ip.com , this is nice for all those dhcp users that have to check their ip everytime.
dave

Mod Edit - Email address removed to defeat spambots - Leurgy

Edited by Leurgy, 28 June 2005 - 07:37 AM.

Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:00 PM

What are you using on the workstations? Are you going to be running a server?
I have used PcAnywhere, VNC, Reachout, SMS, and Novell's ZEN remote control with NAL. They all seem to work well. In a Novell network, ZEN Remote control beats them all. Especially if you are also going to do automated updates. Since this is on a small scale PcAnywhere or VNC will do the trick.

I have never used all the features in PCAnywhere though.

We use ours for remote admistration of computers. For support, updates and maintenance issues. Nothing beats being able to see a problem, without getting a user to click a to get to b.

I believe XP pro has a remote control feature built-in. Never used it, but you should look into it if the workstation you will be using is XP PRO.

Are you going to be running IP?
JC

#4 Futs

Futs

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 07 July 2005 - 01:52 AM

Programme I use which has some good and usefull features is DameWare NT utilities, worth a look
Posted Image

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 09 July 2005 - 12:02 PM

Hello. I have 12 total computer set up for me the wife and kids(and a couple of extras). I use Real VNC with static IPs to maintain the LAN. It is fairly straight forword and the paid version has hi encrytion for security. I would recommend TZO for out of network remote access. it's only $20+-/yr. TZO for WAN, and Real VNC for LAN.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users