Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clone Bigger Hard drive to smaller hard drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:57 PM

I have a 1TB hard drive that I am only using 30GB on and want to clone that to a 500GB hard drive. I have tried using Drive Image XML but it tells me that I have to get a bigger drive in order for it to work. My question is this, is there a program (free) that can clone a bigger hard drive to a smaller one?

I might be answering my question here but I wonder could I image the drive and the restore the image from that one to another one?

There has to be a way to do it.

uByte

Edited by uByte, 21 May 2009 - 04:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 uByte

uByte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:31 AM

The verdict is still out. I tried to image the drive and restore it to the smaller one and it gave me the same message. I wonder if I resized the partition of the bigger one to make it smaller then tried to copy it. That might work.

If anyone has done this before let me know.

uByte

#3 TallyHo

TallyHo

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:09 AM

try making a partition size you are happy with first,
then copy that to that after resizing the 30GB to what you think is reasonable...say 120GB ?

XML should do it.

OS ? problem ? :thumbsup:

#4 uByte

uByte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:02 PM

try making a partition size you are happy with first,

Thats what I ended up doing. I resized the drive with Portable Partition Magic then ran Drive Image XML to clone the drive from one to the other.

OS ? problem ?

Not an OS problem more of a weird Hard drive problem. The hard drive was acting like it didn't have an OS installed when I booted it up. So I tried to reboot and low and behold it boots up fine. There would also be weird times where rebooting it wasn't able to fix it so I would have to reseat the memory to other slot to get it to boot. I have dealt with it for a while and decided it is about time to nip it in the butt. It might be a hard drive firmware update which is what I am going to check next but want to back up everything before I do it.

#5 uByte

uByte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:20 PM

GREAT SUCESS! Worked just like a charm.

I will have to see if this fixes the problem entirely to early to tell right now.

uByte

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users