Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop doesn't work with another DVD drive

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 cristian_ot

cristian_ot

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:59 PM

Hello,
I have a Laptop: Acer TravelMate 4060,Windows XP SP3, 2GB RAM, 120 GB HD Seagate, and last week I bought a dvd drive but when I inserted it into the laptop it gave me a black screen with this written on :

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 082)
Copyright 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Realtek RTL8139(X)/8130/810X PCI Fast Ethernet Controller v2.13 (020326)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
Operating System not found.

When I took the dvd drive out, the laptop worked again with no problems.The new dvd drive is a Sony DW-Q58A. The old one was a Slimtype DVDRW SOSW-833S. Is it possible that it's not compatible? Thank you.(In green is the good one and in red is the bad one.I think are the same!!!??? :thumbsup: )

What can I do to make it work?thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:52 PM

That message relates to your boot options...indicating that the system is trying to boot the system from a network.

On one of my systems...this happens when I set the BIOS settings to default.

The easy thing to do...check your BIOS settings and make sure that the system is set to boot from the hard drive.

The drive installation should have nothing to do with BIOS boot settings, unless you have somehow changed them. Make sure that your main BIOS settings reflect the new drive, not the old...and then check the boot options in the BIOS.

Louis

#3 cristian_ot

cristian_ot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 05:39 AM

Make sure that your main BIOS settings reflect the new drive, not the old...and then check the boot options in the BIOS.

I put the old one again and I went to BIOS and in front of Hard drive was a +(plus),and with the new one when I go to BIOS the plus isn't there.Which means it can't find the HardDrive and the new dvd drive either.And continues to the next one,which is 'Network Boot' ,the Ethernet card.
Now...how do I set the BIOS to 'see' the new dvd-drive? Thank you very much.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:19 PM

Depending on how old the BIOS is...it should automatically detect new hardware.

Older BIOSes often required manually redetecting all drives before a new one would be properly recognized. If this is the case, your BIOS main screen should have instructions on how to do such.

FWIW: http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.ht...ssageID=2478239

Louis

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 22 May 2009 - 03:03 PM

I don't have a old one to look at, but you might want to see if there is a master/slave jumper on the drive
Don't know if they have them or not
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 cristian_ot

cristian_ot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2009 - 12:20 PM

Depending on how old the BIOS is...it should automatically detect new hardware.

Well the BIOS is 4 year old like the system,but there is no update for it.The only version that I found on Acer site is the same with the one I've got on my laptop.I've tried to flash it with Winplash but says : 'The current system BIOS is the same version (or newer) then the version you are trying to flash, so the BIOS will not be changed.'
I dont get any instruction to manually detect the hard drive and is not automatically detected. What can I do?
I have tried to upload some photos with shots of my BIOS, maybe I don't know where to look, but this site don't let me. It says I have used the attachments space(512k????why i'm getting so low?)
Anyway the only option remain with the master/slave jumper (I think).But I have not even the smallest idea what this are and where to look to tell you if is master or jumper or slave!!! :thumbsup:

off-topic: please increase my space for the attachments so I can upload photos.

thanks

Cristian.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2009 - 01:29 PM

An explanation of BIOS screens should also be in the owner's manual.

Some words abpit jumper settings on hard drives and CD/DVD drives. If you are unfamiliar with some things, Google is a great way to enlighten/educate yourself concerning routine things.

http://www.pcguide.com/intro/fun/jump-c.html

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_jumpers_on_a_Hard_Drive

Louis

#8 cristian_ot

cristian_ot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2009 - 05:19 PM

I don't have anymore the owner's manual and I found one online,but is not explain to much there.The hard drive doesnt have any jumper. I don't understand why is not working? :thumbsup:
Cristian

Here are the shots from BIOS WITH the optical drive mounted.Where shall I change manually the settings to make BIOS to find the hard drive. Please,take a look,thank you.

Edited by cristian_ot, 24 May 2009 - 05:44 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2009 - 05:51 PM

I suggest that you post anything you want observers to see...via uploading, as you did the first set of visuals.

Louis

#10 cristian_ot

cristian_ot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:16 PM

I have tried to upload some photos with shots of my BIOS, maybe I don't know where to look, but this site don't let me. It says I have used the attachments space(512k????why i'm getting so low?)
off-topic: please increase my space for the attachments so I can upload photos.

thanks

Cristian.

I can't upload photos.My space allowed (512k) is full.Please increase so I can upload more images.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:10 AM

Shrink the photos...before posting them. Imaged editors do this.

Images do not have to be humongous to be posted.

As for your original images posted...I suggest removing them from your post since I don't see where they added anything useful.

Louis

#12 cristian_ot

cristian_ot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:35 PM

Thanks for your advice. I didn't knew you can delete your previous uploads. So here are the shots of BIOS. I can't find anywhere manually settings.

Thank you

Edited by cristian_ot, 25 May 2009 - 02:36 PM.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2009 - 12:38 PM

Take a shot of the tab marked Main...and post it, please. You can replace the shot of the Security tab. You can also remove either of the first two shots, since they are the same.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 26 May 2009 - 12:39 PM.

#14 cristian_ot

cristian_ot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:04 AM

I've put the shots from Main and Boot.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:01 PM

I am nonplussed :thumbsup:.

I don't understand why your screen does not show the detail of any drive...my experience is that every BIOS I've seen since 1996 does reflect the drive detail somewhere, yet yours does not.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users