Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Account files turned to FAT?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Shinigami.

Shinigami.

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:54 PM

Just yesterday I toke out my radeom 9200 Video card and put in an nvidia Gefore 5200, upon rebooting and attempting to log into my account, my computer prompt a message similar to "You do not have sufficient access" even though I input the correct password at login screen. After this prompt came up, my computer stoped responding and I hit the restart button on my computer tower.

This happened twice, but the third time I was able to log in. Upon logging in I was prompt with some sort of message saying that my files were turned to FAT files. Then once my computer account loaded, I noticed that everything on my account was reset to default settings with everything gone. Another thing about the account is that no programs can be ran on that account.

Does anyone know what the problem is with my account and if it's possible to restore it back to the way it was before the files all dissapeared?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:31 PM

Did you uninstall the 9200 properly or did tou simply rake it out & put a nVidia card in ?

In order to change video cards the old one needs to be uninstall in the device manager & , without letting the computer restart, uninstall all ATI software in add/remove programs.
Then shut the unit off, do not let it restart, & remove the 9200 .

If you did not uninstall the 9200 properly stick it back in the computer & see if it will start & allow you to uninstall .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Shinigami.

Shinigami.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:42 PM

No, I just turned the computer off and put in the nvidia. So I should put the ati back into my pc, uninstall it the ATI card, then put in my Nvidia? Would that put my account back to normal? Related: Right now I'm on the same computer and it's working fine, it's just that my specific account that I first tried to log onto is now gone with all my information.

#4 RavenPhoenix

RavenPhoenix

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:36 PM

You can TRY to uninstall them right now, maybe get something like DriverCleaner (it used to be free dunno if it still is) and have that remove the rest of the remaining files.
Upon reboot download the nVidia drivers here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_175.19_whql.html
and install them.
Forum Skulker. Preventing Comp Nukes everywhere. :-)

#5 Shinigami.

Shinigami.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:01 PM

Ok I'v uninstalled the ATI drivers, but how does this restore my computer back with all the settings and files back to that specific account? When I toke out my nvidia that I just put in to put back in the old ATI, my computer still has this problem. Is there a program or a way to restore the files and settings back onto that specific account on my computer?

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:10 PM

Have you tried using Windows System Restore to return the setting to a point before you made the changes?

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:43 PM

Your 1 shot at restoring it.

Uninstall the nvidia card.
turn it off & put the Radeon back in
restart the computer
Restore to a point before you changed the video card the first time.
That should put you back to point A.

Now uninstall the radeon correctly
reinstall the nvidia.

If you don't put it back like it was when the restore point was created you will have problems with the restore because it will be using the radeon video card.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#8 Shinigami.

Shinigami.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:17 PM

Ok, thanks for all your help, I'll put the radeon back in and try to system restore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users