Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need software reorder registry

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 alvingo

alvingo

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 27 June 2005 - 07:55 AM

:thumbsup: bro my computer is very slow because of registry mixed up.. i need a software that can re-arrange or re-order my registry to its exact path.. when i open a folder it takes so long to open the folder..

Edited by alvingo, 27 June 2005 - 07:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2005 - 03:13 PM

When was the last time you completed the rountine maintence of running scandisk and defragging?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 27 June 2005 - 09:47 PM

What makes you think the registry is mixed up? There are lots of simpler reasons the PC could be slow, one of them being you have run out of hard drive space.
  • Check how much free space you have on your hard drive.
    Start>My Computer click once on your C: drive and look in the Details box on the left.
Do some basic maintenance as jgweed suggested:
(These instructions apply to Windows ME and XP, other versions may not have the functions described)
  • Clean your internet cache and temporary files:
    Click Start and Run then type in cleanmgr this will start the windows disk cleanup tool.
    Tick the boxes beside Temporary internet Files, Recycle Bin and Temporary Files then click OK

• Boot in Safe Mode and do a scandisk with the 'Thorough' and 'Fix' options checked.
    If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here:
    Safe Mode
    How to find scandisk:
    Start>My Computer. Right click the C: drive then Properties>Tools tab, click on Check Now

• When that's finished do a defrag.
    Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter
    They will take some time but at least you will know your hard drive is working correctly and tidied up.

• Reboot and see if there's any improvement.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 alvingo

alvingo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 02:15 AM

yes bro i degfrag and check scan disc 4 days ago.. but i did not try cleaning the catche and the temporary flies and the recycle bin. il do that thanks :thumbsup: i mean the computer would slow down if i open drive c: its 20gb and occupied half, and i have another hard disc d: 20gb still the same. um there are too many files and games,installed anywhere by my sis and brother.. have you heard the microsoft registry aid plus?..

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 28 June 2005 - 03:03 AM

have you heard the microsoft registry aid plus?..

No, I've never used it. So if you downloaded it and ran it what happened?

Another reason your system could be slow is there are too many applications starting up automatically at boot time. Tell us some more details about your computer and what it runs. You may be able to run msconfig (Start>run type "msconfig" without quotes) which opens the configuration window, select the tab marked 'Startup'. Untick all the entries here, close msconfig and reboot. If the computer runs at normal speed then one or more of the msconfig entries is causing the problem. Put the ticks back in one at a time till the problem comes back, then that is the program which is slowing down your system.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 alvingo

alvingo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 07:54 AM

it said :

Registry First Aid Ver 4.0

Cleans the registry to speed up your computer and stop program crashes!
The latest version of Registry First Aid is even easier to use and safely fixes more Registry errors than ever before. Helps eliminate system crashes, software lockups and slow loading programs caused by incorrect Registry entries leftover from software installations & uninstallations that went awry. Registry First Aid fixes these problems by removing these references that are no longer needed. Hundreds of these files bog down the registry, slow down your computer and cause software to lock up. RFA 4.0 offers added features that check the registry for unused software entries and "Run" registry entry errors. Also supports adding multiple entries into an excluded list and a new safe invalid path detection algorithm.

Registry First Aid scans registry for orphan file/folder references, finds these files or folders on your drives that may have been moved from their initial locations, and then corrects your registry entries to match the located files or folders. In addition, if your registry has links to files of deleted applications, Registry First Aid will find these invalid entries and remove them from your registry. With Registry First Aid, your Windows registry will be always clean and correct, helping your programs load faster and speeding up your computer. Registry First Aid - Keep it clean and keep it fast!

is this true? sorry this is another program.. i heard that microsoft has its own program.

yeah il do that thanks for the info... :-)

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 08:08 AM

Unless you are very comfortable with what you are doing, and really trust an application like this, avoid making registry changes. One mistake can so serious damage to the operating system. I have used, in the past, and with great caution and review of every candidate for deletion, an application such as the one you mention, and have seen absolutely NO improvement in computer speed.
Bottom line: you can probably find other ways that will actually improve speed and are much safer to use. Follow Rimmer's advice.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 alvingo

alvingo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 08:57 AM

thanks bro for the reply.. yup im following rimmers advices ^_^ its hard to trust programs unless people are using it commonly and it shows results.. hopefully rimmers advices works :thumbsup:

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 10:01 AM

What is your operating system?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#10 alvingo

alvingo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 10:39 AM

windows 98 millenuim :-) hehehe

#11 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 11:32 AM

Try scanreg /fix
scanreg /opt

You'll need to run both from the command prompt, when in windows select exit to msdos (or something similar can't remember exactly what it says.)

#12 alvingo

alvingo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 02:31 AM

cool thanks for the advices.. um i just wonder what is the difference if i run it in ms dos compared to windows. :thumbsup:

#13 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 03:26 AM

You can't run it in Windows because the registry is in use. You need to do it from a command prompt before Windows loads.

windows 98 millenuim :-) hehehe

Thats why I asked about your operating system.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users