Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Media Center - slow boot up & Bootvis?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kvon

kvon

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:21 PM

Have noticed that my machine, as of late, has been taking WAY too long to boot up, AND shut down. I'll be running all my malware scans immediately after posting this, but in the meantime - I'm having a problem with Bootvis, wondered if anyone's got any ideas. I've run it in the past - for diagnostic purposes only, not to use the optimize function - and had good luck. Seems like this would be a great diagnostic tool for my current problem, cuz it seems like one of the boot processes is hanging up. Problem is, when I run Bootvis, the following traces are completely empty. blank. Nada. The are: CPU Usage, Driver Delay, Boot Activity. Well those are the ones that contain the diagnostic info. Or... should contain the diagnostic info.

Found a suggestion somewhere that an antivirus process, and disk defrag process could both potentially interfere, so I disabled both of those & tried again. (I use Norton Internet Security 2009, and Diskeeper 2008). No change. What gives?!?! Any ideas appreciated...

Edited by kvon, 21 May 2009 - 01:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kvon

kvon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:26 PM

So all the malware scans came up clean - ran Norton Internet Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware & AdAware.

Does anyone know of any alternatives to Bootvis? Sure seems like it would be nice to be able to trace what's going on during boot up, and where the hang-ups are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users