Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hardware Wizzard keeps popping up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Falu

Falu

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 10:24 AM

Hi,

Hopefully this post isn't in the wrong thread.

Last night I uninstalled a program: Snoop Free privacy shield. Right after that the New hardware Wizzard popped up, and informed me that it was going to help me with the installation of a USB Protection Device. Since I couldn't cancel the Wizzard, I ran it and ended saying that it couldn't installe the device because of an error code 10. Googled that but couldn't find anything that suits my sitaution, since I didn't add or remove a usb device.

The Device Manager shows an entry: Syncrosoft Protection Device and underneath it says: unknown device (7 times) and USB Protection Device (5 times) with a yellow question mark next to them. Rightclicking gives me the opportunity to de-activate or even uninstall it, bur I am not sure that the right thing to do.

Syncrosoft has to do with Cubase from Steinberg but I don't have that software on this computer.

I googled and found The New Hardware Wizard may detect the printer device after every restart of the computer
Since the key just isn't there this doesn't refer to my problem. Furthermore my printer still works fine.

Than I ran chkdsk: after a restart the Wizzard popped up again.

I have seen ways to stop the Wizzard ("Kill the found new hardware wizard by running services.msc and then turn off Shell hardware detection"), but I don't think that's a good idea since normally the Wizzard is rather functional, so good to have.

Until now I cann't get rid of it.

Any advice is much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:47 PM

Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
Look for entries referring to Syncrosoft or Snoop and remove them
See if that helps

What is Syncrosoft?
http://www.soft32.com/Download/Free/USB_Pr...4-171688-4.html
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Falu

Falu
  • Topic Starter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:41 PM

Hi garmanma,

Thanks for your quick response.

Look for entries referring to Syncrosoft or Snoop and remove them
See if that helps

Unfortunately nothing like that shows up.

Any other suggestions??

Edited by Falu, 21 May 2009 - 03:43 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:40 PM

Syncrosoft...is broader than you think, http://www.syncrosoft.com/

Appears to be copy protection encryption technology...have no idea why it appears as hardware components.

I would do a manual edit of my registry and ditto for any files containing "syncrosoft" in the filename.

Louis

#5 Falu

Falu
  • Topic Starter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 04:53 AM

Hi hamluis (sounds Dutch...),

Thanks for your response.

Appears to be copy protection encryption technology.

A week ago I did upgrade TrueCrypt but I cann't find any relation between the two.

I used Regseeker to look for syncrosoft and it comes up with 265 entries in the registry, most of them in HKLM/System/ControlSet001 etc. 004, but also in Sotware/Microsoft/Windows/Currentversion/uninstall/SyncrosoftLicenseControl and system/currentcontrolset/services/synasusb/enum.

Several times I see SIA Syncrosoft mentioned.

Regseeker makes a backup and could delete all of them, but I am not sure that's the best way.

Please advice!!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:35 PM

Well...I can only tell you what I would do...and I've already done that :thumbsup:.

I've not experienced any problem deleting registry entries for programs which I know that I have uninstalled...and I don't like mystery registry entries that seemingly don't relate to either Windows or any installed programs/files.

Worst case...I would simply reinstall the software to which such might pertain.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users