Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with changing Ram speed from 400mhz -1066mhz

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 andru

andru

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:21 AM

Hey guys.
I've looked all over the net for help tutorials and all that and have not been successful.
I always end up coming back here for help ande you guys always come through so cheers for that!
Anyway. My Ram is running at 400mhz and i want it to run at 1066mhz. I have done all the reading and understand that
it is running at defualt setting and that it is DDR2 meaning it running 2x 400mhz = 800mhz
Now i under stand all this and have gone of the advice of websites changed my ram volts to 2.1V
and Mhz to 1066Mhz but i cannot understand how to change the timmings to 5-5-5-15 and even after changing
the others and leaving timings on auto i still have CPU-Z saying im running PC2-6400(400mhz)

I have reset it all and i am going to start from scratch can anyone please tell me how to change this or is it more difficult then just changing
the settings in bios. I know my CPU and ram can handle this so theirs no worry their.

Info:
CPU AMD Quad Core 9950 2.6mhz Black Edition
Ram: DDR2 Corsair CM2x2048-8500C5D

Hopefully that's all the info u need. any help would be appreciated.
Cheers again.
Andrew

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dev Mgr

Dev Mgr

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:21 PM

It would help if you posted what kind of computer you have. Or if it's a self-built PC, what motherboard it has.

Most brand name PCs will run memory only at specific speeds and not (automatically) go faster.

The bios on your motherboard would need to accept the different timings from the dimms, or you would have to 'force' it, assuming the bios supports that option.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:46 PM

FWIW: http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/TWIN2X2048-8500C5D.pdf

The motherboard manufacturer and model will determine...you need to post that information.

Louis

#4 andru

andru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:41 AM

Ah sorry guys i forgot to mention that Built myself and M3a78-Pro and yer it definatly supports it
I have tried lookin through the manual and cannot find instructions on what to change
Any Idea's
Much appreciated

Edited by andru, 25 May 2009 - 06:43 AM.

#5 andru

andru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2009 - 12:11 AM

I found out how to change the timings and Volts etc. But still have no luck i set the:
Mem Freq: 1067
TCL: 5
TRCD: 5
TRP: 5
TRAS: 15
1T/2T: 2T
Ungaged mode
Dram: 2.2 Volts

and still no luck i don't know what i am doing wrong, also between TCL (CAS Latency) and TRCD (Ras to Cas Delay) There is another option called TRCL or something and i don't know if i should set that to 5 or not as i have left it on auto. Amway after changing it and looking in CPU-Z it read something like 5 3 3 18 and still 400Mhz. So i changed it all back to auto and have left it for now. What am i doing wrong does anyone have any Ideas
Cheers guys
Andru

Edited by andru, 26 May 2009 - 12:13 AM.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:38 PM

It could be your processor limiting the FSB speed. What is the FSB of the processor?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 andru

andru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:02 AM

Do you mean my FBS speed? If yes well i have tried changing that and the computer will not run for some reason i have read up all night on overclocking guides n things but for some reason as soon as i change my FBS my computer can't handle it and restarts and reverts back to the original Bios settings (it can go from 200-600Mhz). I have tried going up by 5Mhz (205Mhz) and still the same also set my CPU multiplier to 8x while i was doing this with still no luck.

If i am mistaken where is the CPU FSB and what will the setting name be called
Thx

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:16 AM

its in your bios and it will be under the advanced settings. Will be called CP multiplier etc.. cant look up the link at the moment I am on my BB. MY pc is all packed up in boxes. You can get your manual for your MB online and support.asus.com I looked it up lastnight. Look and see where you can unlink the Processor FSB and the memory. Then you should be able to speed up the memory without effecting the processor.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#9 andru

andru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2009 - 03:38 AM

Hey again cheers for the help I figured it out after spend like 5 hours fiddling around in bios and reading forums. For some reason it was to do with my Memory settings set to Limit not Manual. I found it here at this link: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=3113955 Post Post 10 (Psychlone)
thanks again guys

Andru

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:48 PM

Thanks for posting your solution glad you had time to find out the problem.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#11 andru

andru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2009 - 04:44 AM

Thanks mate