Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Faulty Fan Header on my Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Stephen W

Stephen W

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:20 AM

Hi. Recently my CPU fan stopped running and the CPU was overheating and shutting down my system. Somebody suggested that I try plugging the fan into an unused identical header on my motherboard. I did that and the fan now works but runs flat out (and very noisy) all the time. So I guess the original header has become faulty. In my BIOS I can see that the CPU fan is showing 0rpm and the Power fan in showing around 6000rpm. Previously the CPU fan was showing a speed and Power fan was zero. So clearly the header that I am now using is assigned to supply power for an auxilary Power fan.

So my question is, does anybody know if its possible to tell my motherboard that the Power fan header is now designated as the CPU fan header so that it will then control the CPU fan speed in relation to the CPU temperature? i.e. so the fan won't run constantly flat out anymore.

My full PC spec can be seen here: http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/?sn...0016&g=1400

The motherboard is a Scilly (GA-K8NUSLI-NF) Ver 1.0 ATX Motherboard

Any help would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:41 AM

Try putting the fan back onto the original connector and, while it is on, gently press the connector sideways as though you wanted to bend it. If it starts running, it needs to be resoldered. If it doesn't, your only hope is to buy a quieter fan; but, bear in mind that part of your systemboard has gone bad and you need to monitor the temperatures.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:09 AM

I don't see any real info on that motherboard other than general stuff. All I can offer are workarounds.

One solution, grab a fan controller, plug it in between fan and motherboard to control fan speed manually. OR.......
Get another fan that has a manual controller. OR............
Get a thermostatic fan (Antec makes a few I think) that varies speed on it's own according to temperature. Problem is it isn't user adjustable, and only changes speed according to ambient temp (air temp from the CPU cooler), not specifically CPU temp. OR..........
Get another 4 pin connector (easier to just buy a cheapie 4 pin fan). Remove the tach pin and the PWM control from the current connector and put them in the new connector. New connector with the PWM and Tach wires to the CPU connector, connector with the PWR and GND to the AUX connector on the mobo.

As pointed out above, a bad solder joint is the most common cause of fan header problems. It is a simple fix.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 Stephen W

Stephen W
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:19 PM

Hi. I decided to try your suggestion to test for a bad connection/cracked solder so I plugged the fan back into the CPU fan header. And hey presto its now working just fine and spinning at 2000rpm. I guess I'm going to have to keep at eye on it as there must be something not quite right with it.
If it stops working again and I do determine that it needs resoldering, do I need a PC repair professional to do this or can anybody proficient at soldering do it? I presume the soldering will be required on the back of the motherboard? So I may also need to remove the motherboard from its case if the joint is not accessible.
Thanks for your help and suggestions guys.

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:35 PM

IF the connector is in a spot you can get to without too much trouble, you can carefully pry the plastic upwards to the top of the pins, resolder the pins, then slide the plastic back down into place. This is technically cheating; but, I have done it more than once. The trick is to not take the plastic all the way off or the pins will flop around when you solder them and you need to have enough room to get the soldering iron in there without melting something else.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users