Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Adobe Reader be downloaded on its own?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 silon and garfunkel

silon and garfunkel

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:15 AM

Hi.

I want to download the latest version of Adobe Reader, but it comes bundeled with other things like Air, and that pushes up the download size up above 50 meg. I have a dial up connection and that makes it all a bit of a hastle.

So is there any way to download Adobe Reader on its own?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:12 AM

If you only want to be able, occasionally, to read .pdf files, you may want to consider a much smaller (and free) reader:

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/

Many of our Members use it with very good results.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 10:16 AM

It looks like you can get the latest version of Adobe Reader on its own from here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_adobe_reader/tech/ That said, it is still a 25.50MB (26,739,584 bytes) download which is a bear on dial-up.

Unless you need it to interact with Adobe Suite or something, I agree that using Foxit Reader is a better option. For starters, it is a MUCH smaller download. The .exe download is 3.57 MB, .zip download is 2.98 MB, and the .msi download is 3.26 MB. You need to download only one of them. It is also loads faster and is much less resource intensive.

Something else that is way cool about Foxit Reader is that it has a tab feature much like Firefox and IE7. In other words, you can have several PDF files open, but they are all in one window.

Cheers,

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 silon and garfunkel

silon and garfunkel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:29 AM

Thanks for the posts, I think I will give Foxit a try.

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:44 AM

I reinstalled Foxit Reader yesterday unticked the install Ask Toolbar option and yet found that it had installed anyway to both IE and Firefox. I went to my add/remove program and uninstalled it but leaving the Foxit Reader entry alone. I then found on reboot that as well as removing itself it had left Foxit Reader unusable and also did something to my soundcard leaving me with no sound which meant I had to reinstall the drivers again.
Can anyone recommend any other PDF freeware that is resource light. All I need it for is to be able to open PDF format files when Googling.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,960 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2009 - 12:19 AM

Ask Toolbar? :startled: That must be a recent development. I'd never knowingly recommend software that came bundled with that. So many good free software programs have now been corrupted with that pesky toolbar. My version didn't come with it.
-------------
I've done some investigation. You're right. Foxit Reader now does come bundled with Ask Toolbar, and there seems to be no way to install the program without installing it. Grrr. EULA doesn't even mention it's presence, nor do I find mention of it anywhere else on the site. I find that deceitful. While Ask Toolbar isn't 'malicious', users should be allowed the free choice to install it or not, or at least to refuse the installation completely if it comes bundled with it. Were it not for my Firewall alert, I'd would not have known of it's presence until it was too late.
----------
So, I did some searching for other free PDF readers. I found three, but one places a great strain on the CPU, so I'm not going to even mention it as an option. A second came with some sort of Ebay.com thingy, plus it was very awkward to use if you wished to fill out form fields - for instance on tax forms. Again, that is one I cannot recommend.

Then I found another which I CAN recommend. It is reasonably light on resources and does not put undue pressure on the CPU. PDF texts are nice and clear and load pretty quickly, at least those texts I have on my computer. I didn't check how quickly it loaded if the text was straight off the internet. Navigation is straight forward. It takes a bit of adjustment to learn the menu, but no big deal. Fairly straight forward. You can fill in forms that are set up with fields, such as Federal Tax forms. You can highlight the fields, you can clear the form, and you can save the form after data has been entered, and the data will still be there when you reopen the document. However, you cannot type on the page unless fields are present. So, it is not possible, for example, to complete Indiana State Tax forms because they did not create fields in the documents. There is NO advertising with this product.

Free PDF Reader - Version 3.5.90

Found here: http://www.visagesoft.com/products/pdfreader/

Download link is at the bottom of the page at the right. File size is 8.63 MB, which is about a third of the size of the plain Adobe Reader file. Installation is quick and easy. Make sure you close all other window applications before installing.

Edited to add: This program also has the tab feature. ~ OB

Edited by Orange Blossom, 23 May 2009 - 12:22 AM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 23 May 2009 - 04:25 AM

Thanks a whole lot Orange Blossom. I will try it out.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#8 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:44 AM

As far as I know, the .msi download of Foxit does not contain the Ask Toolbar.

Also:
Best Free Non-Adobe PDF Reader

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,960 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2009 - 11:10 PM

The Cool PDF reader listed in the Best Freeware site you linked to is the one that made my CPU go up to 100%. This occurred when trying to go to the second page of a document of a 4-page document. The second page never did load it up.

I'll test the .msi download of Foxit Reader to see if it excludes the Ask Toolbar. The file size is a bit smaller than the .exe file, so it does seem to be a reasonable conclusion. Will post back with results.

Orange Blossom

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,960 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2009 - 11:55 PM

And the verdict is, yes. The Foxit Reader is installed without the Ask Toolbar if you use the .msi installation. No sign of any advertising, other than to upgrade to a paid version if you use features such as the typewriter.

Go to this page: http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/download.php and then choose the third download link which has this text: Download Foxit Reader 3.0 (.msi)

Orange Blossom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users