Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No email options in QuickCam Preferences application

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 NorCal_Mike

NorCal_Mike

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:10 AM

Howdy,

Camera: QuickCam Pro 9000
Email Client: Outlook 2003 (MAPI compliant)

The Problem: In QuickCam, under Preferences/Email, the application no longer finds or brings up Outlook as my client. Consequently, I can no longer email pics or videos from within that program, but have to open Outlook, navigate to the appropriate folders, and then attach the file(s) manually.

The Story: Recently I tried to email a video via QuickCam, only to discover it no longer worked as before. It no longer even gave the option to select Outlook in Preferences, instead showing only a 'black window' when clicking on the selection bar. After various attempts to fix this without a complete reinstall, that's what I ultimately did...several times in fact, yet the problem persisted.

Next I posted on the Logitech Forum and was given multiple links/articles to read and digest. I printed out and followed all instructions to the letter - from uninstalling (for the 4th-5th time), removing the VID key from the Registry, checking entries in Device Mgr, dowloading the latest software, doing a "clean boot," and a fresh install - yet still no email in Preferences. After rebooting, the installation continued and launched another installer that (once again) checked for Updates. I chose "Software & Drivers" (recommended) and it proceeded to install all that. Once complete, there were still no email options in Preferences, so I rebooted in hopes that might finalize "the fix." Of course, it did not.

Frustrated, I called Logitech Support. To summarize, he had not even ONE suggestion, stating I'd already done everything he could think of & then some.

Logitech Help file states, "If an email isn't created when you click the email Icon , this may be because your email application is not MAPI-compliant. (Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express, Lotus Notes, AOLŽ 3.0+, NetscapeŽ 4.0, Microsoft Exchange and EudoraŽ are all MAPI-compliant and so should work without a problem.)" Well, Outlook is MAPI compliant, and this used to work just fine. During several days of dealing with all this, I came across a mention about "re-registering MAPI with Outlook"...something to that effect..though natually it didn't follow through with how to do it. I've looked through Outlook help and spent a lot of time searching all over the net, yet found nothing helpful or germane.

I find it very odd how everything worked perfectly when first installed a few months ago, yet now it's a problem that no one seems to know how to fix. After all the time and effort expended, nothing's rectified the problem, while meanwhile Outlook works perfectly and I have no problem sending mail via the net either. I really hope to avoid having to reinstall all of MS Office 2003 and all that entails, including backing up tons of data, later installing all the updates, setting up all my Preferences in each Application, importing all my data, etc. There must be a simpler way to resolve this without going thru all that, IMHO. Does anyone have suggestions on how to fix this?? :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance,
Michael

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:51 AM

Hi NorCal Mike,

Did you find a solution to this? As I was reading it, I wondered if there was a MS update in there that might have affected the connection and if you had looked only at the QuickCam end without ever looking at the Outlook end.

If you have a chance to post back about this, it might help someone else.

Z.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users