Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 nonna

nonna

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:26 AM

Hello All :trumpet:

I am having trouble with Windows Installer. I have downloaded the lastest version and all went well with the download, but when I tried to get a log report I get a Windows Installer error message, something to do with a windows installer patch not verifying. :thumbsup:

Is there anyway I can post the error messages for anyone to have a look at to see if they can help me. I have the screenshots on my computer as a JPEG file.

Muchly appreciate anyone who can help me with the problem

Cheers

Nonna

:flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:18 AM

Hi again Nonna,

Have you tried Googling the exact wording of the message you get?

What is it exactly that makes you think you do not have the Windows Installer already installed and working?

Was it just that one message you got when you ran Malwarebytes?

#3 nonna

nonna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:39 AM

Hello Stang777

I can always count on you to respond :)

I don't know how to google the exact wording of the message (something else I will have to learn) :thumbsup:

I get this error message quite a lot. I am sure that I have Windows Installer installed correctly but this message has something to do with veryifying a patch package ???? :flowers: :trumpet:
This is the wording of the extact error message:

C:\Documents and Settings\The Family\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes'
Anti-Malway\Logs\mbam-log-2009-05-19 (15-20-45).txt

This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and
that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid
Windows Installer patch package

That is the error message verbatim :cool: :) :P :) it pops up
with quite a lot with other things that I do.

Cheers

Nonna

:inlove:

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:48 AM

I do not know if this will fix the problem or not but after doing a little more investigating, it appears that you need to install the latest installer, the 4.5 version instead of the 3.1. I think you are probably trying to install the 3.1, which until last year would have been fine, but it seems it does not support service pack 3, which you are running. I did not realize that when I pointed you to that version, sorry about that. The 4.5 version can be found here...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

I believe the one you want to download is the last one in the list, as I think you are running the 32 bit version of Windows Home.

I have never run into this situation with the installer before so I am just investigating it as we go here. I wish someone who had experienced this before would jump in and give a fix. Try installing this latest version and let me know if anything changes.

The profile, or user name, you are using is set up to be an administrator, right?

Edited by Stang777, 21 May 2009 - 02:54 AM.

#5 nonna

nonna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:28 AM

Hi Stang777

I did install the version 4.5, I read all the information and that was the one that I installed, so I am still scratching my head.

Cheers

Nonna

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:06 AM

I am a little stumped here. Look in your Program Files foler for the the folder named "Windows Installer 4.5 SDK"

If it installed, that is where it should be installed to. If it is there, open that folder up and see how many files there are in it and if there are any .exe files in it and let me know how many are there

#7 nonna

nonna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:43 AM

Hi Stang777

I looked in my program files but it is application file only, which means I can run it but I can't open it.

I did a right click, then clicked on properties and under the General Tab it said 7 files & 0 folders.

When I ran it up popped the Install Wizard and I progress through until it had finished and there were no problems.

Still scratchin my head and I must say it's beginning to hurt :cool:

I seem to have so many problems and I can't resolve any of them, I am really leaning towards wiping it all and starting again :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

Cheers

Nonna

:inlove:

Edited by nonna, 21 May 2009 - 05:44 AM.

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:55 AM

Yes, you really should stop scratching your head, it isn't good for your head or your hair, lol.

It seems like that is installed so I am guessing your problem lies elsewhere. It probably would only have the one exe file for it, mine does. I have Windows Installer 3.1 installed on my system and it is located in the system32 folder, it is not in its own folder and it has no other files with it. When I open the .exe file for it, it pops up with a window that tells me about it. I do not know if your version would do the same thing or not but if it were on my system, I would probably double click it and find out what it does, but like I said, it sounds like it is installed and your problem is with something else.

Other than to quit scratching your head before you are bleeding or damage your hair, I do not know what else to tell you about this problem. Sorry

Edited by Stang777, 21 May 2009 - 06:09 AM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:33 AM

<<This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and
that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid
Windows Installer patch package.>>

I would uninstall Malwarebytes...and then reinstall it and update it.

Malwarebytes could be damaged, the update itself could be damaged.

Louis

#10 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:23 PM

Louis, I think Nonna probably already did that as I gave that advice in another thread a while back. Would have recommended it again just in case Nonna had misunderstood me when I recommended that and hadn't done that except for in this thread Nonna also said this about that message....

That is the error message verbatim it pops up
with quite a lot with other things that I do.

I am really curious about this and Nonna seems to be running into problems at every turn so I am wondering if you have any other ideas about this, do you?

The only thing I can think of is some infection is causing the problem as Nonna also seems to have some infection problems. Nonna has an open thread in the AII section but nothing seems to be happening in that thread yet, other than one post on the 18th saying to run Malwarebytes, hasn't had anyone address the infection. I am thinking patience is what is required here until the staff can get the time to get back to that thread.

Edited by Stang777, 21 May 2009 - 04:31 PM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:15 PM

I only know that...if I get an error message referencing an installed application...I don't assume that something is wrong with Windows Installer.

In my world, I would remove that application and reinstall it...and see if the problem moves on to another application or simply desists.

Louis

#12 nonna

nonna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:09 PM

Stang777 and Hamluis

A problem shared is a problem solved and yes I do seem to have a lot of problems but as you have said Stang777 patience will get me there.

Hamluis, Stang777 is right I do have other threads, which he has been helping me with but I think he is getting as frustrated as me trying to resolve some of these issues.

In response to this thread though uninstalling Malwarebytes is not the answer because it runs the scan and its only when I go to see the log which must have some connection to Windows Installer that it cannot read it.

This Windows Installer has something to do with microsoft so I have joined the Microsoft Development Forum and I am awaiting some help there. From what I am reading I think that some component to Windows Installer has been deleted from my computer which results in Windows Installer not working properly with some software.

If I solve it then I will post to let everyone know, but at the same time if anyone reads this and has had the same problem please let me know, I will say it again a problem shared is a problem solved.

Thanks Stang777 and Hamluis

Cheers

Nonna

#13 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:27 PM

Hi Nonna,

You are very welcome and I am not getting frustrated with you or the problems you are having nor am I a he, lol. I just wish that I could actually help or that someone else possibly could. There are a lot more knowledgeable people here than me but they do not seem to be seeing your topics, or if they are, you have them stumped too.

The logs for Malwarebytes open in Notepad on my system, you should have that program on your system and it should be set as the default text editor, does that program work correctly for you?

Also, have you tried opening Malwarebytes and instead of having it scan your system, click on the tab that says logs and then double clicking on one of the logs and seeing if you can open it that way?

#14 nonna

nonna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:00 PM

Stang777

I am so so sorry, please accept my apologies, they should show gender on the group members info but I should not have assumed you were a male. I looked at the photo on your info, saw the car and assumed I was talking with a "him" not a "her". Once again so, so, sorry :flowers:

It is when I enter the logs tab and double click on the log that this message pops up.

Like I said in my previous post and it could explain why no experts are helping me with this or any of my other posts, I have been looking at the microsoft forums and I am getting the impression that to fix this is very complex. It seems that the patch is a component of Windows Installer and somehow it has been deleted/outdated on my computer. To add to the complication I have updated the Windows Installer and I am now figuring out that the patch which I think is a part of the Service Pack 3 is missing because the RAM of my computer is not big enough to handle that component. I have to have 512MG of RAM for that component to install.

Through the process of elimination I think I am beginning to understand that I have upgraded where my computer cannot handle the upgrade. I think I have to go back to the very first Windows Installer Version that was on my computer and that's where I am up to at this point, trying to work out which version that was.

Once again I am really sorry for assuming you were of the male species and thanks again for all the help YOU are giving me, I guess like you said I have really stumped the experts with this one.

Cheers

Nonna

:thumbsup:

#15 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:30 PM

You are very welcome and have absolutely nothing to be sorry for. I am quite aware that both the name and the pic of the car lead people to assume I am male and I rarely clear that up. In fact, I don't think I have ever stated on this site before that I am female, not sure what got into me earlier to make me state that I am not a male, lol. People always think anyone who is into cars, especially muscle cars, are male, I guess it is natural that they do, but there are many females into them too. The pic I have with my name on this site is identical to my car and I love it, so that is the pic I wanted to use. I have driven Mustangs for over 20 years so it was just natural for me to become Stang online. Did not even think about that making others think I was male until after I had used it for a while but since I really don't care that it does, I have kept it. I am in the process of trying to (cough, cough) sell that Mustang now (I do not know how one can sell such a car) and even though I won't have a Mustang any more, I am keeping the name, it has just become me.

Anywho, back to your problems, it does sound quite complicated to fix your problem and I am wondering if it might not be easier to either add more ram, which would help you a lot anyway as 256 meg really is not enough to properly run XP, or remove SP3 (yes, I know, people insist it is needed, yet I feel perfectly safe not having it) especially if the bulk of your problems started after installing it. You have a pretty good size processor so I think that is probably compensating a bit for your lack of ram, but getting more ram would be a really good thing to do and it is quite cheap. Check out the thread about adding ram, it will give you a good idea about how much to get and how cheap it is and even how to install it, here is the link to it....

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/228107/virtual-memory/

Edited by Stang777, 21 May 2009 - 11:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users