Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Raid...Mirroring.....Large Drive w/boot-OS

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jtomara37

jtomara37

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:08 AM

I'm first looking for some basic information to my research of setting up a Raid.

1st suffice to say with 5 kids i was sick of re-buying dvds getting scratched and downloaded them all onto a large hard drive inside my pc. My wife also uses this same computer for HiDef video editing and website stuff.

I want to set up this raid mainly to save data if one drive fails i'll have the exact replica on the other drive (including the OS and all our programs-so sick of reinstalling and loosing data)

currently I have 2 500gb drives (not raided/mirrored etc. I want to purchase two 1TB or 1.5TB drives and mirror them.

Is it true that large drives are not good for setting up raid/mirror?

I also heard that large drives are not good for having it as your boot/OS... Is there any truth to this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 732 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:53 AM

1) The 1 and 1.5GB drives are beyond the hairy edge of reliable electronics and are raining down on folks like flies! (500-640GB is stable)
2) Raid won't rescue you as it you will have two copies of the mess quicker than you can do anything.
3) Setup Windows the way you want it, then use a partition tool (GPartEd, maybe) to create an image of the boot partition. It is best kept on an external drive that is not always on or, if you put data files on another drive, it might fit on a DVD. Then, if it gets gescrewdefay, simply restore the image.
4) Backup your data files to another drive in the system or, better yet, back it up across the network to another system. ( I have a slow (PIII) "server" that shares two printers, has a large hard drive added, and my systems automatically back up to it at 4A.M., every day ( good and free http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp )
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 Dev Mgr

Dev Mgr

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:14 AM

There are 2 ways to lose data (not counting someone stealing your pc/laptop):

- hardware failure
- data corruption

A mirror (raid 1) helps with the first possibility of dataloss as a drive failure will mean your other drive still have all data.

However, data corruption isn't prevented with a mirror, as both drives will have the same (corrupted) data. To prevent the latter, DavisMcCarn's suggestion about using a drive that's not always connected is the way to go, with 1 note; if you don't catch your data corruption on time, you could have copied the corrupted data over a previous copy (that was still clean), resulting in just having data at different levels of corruption.

Basically, there's no easy fix other than keeping multiple (incremental) copies/backups, so that you have a clean start and any files that changed (and possibly corrupted) since that are stored in a separate backup (file) without deleting the old 'complete' backup.

#4 jtomara37

jtomara37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:32 PM

2) Raid won't rescue you as it you will have two copies of the mess quicker than you can do anything.

I'm not so worried about data getting corrupted via virus, spyware etc...... My main issue that continues to happen is HDD dying on me. We push it to the limit constantly using it almost 24hrs a day. The computer is rarely ever turned off and almost always having something written to it (even while sleeping)..... Our storage data(partition) is constantly being used as well. We are not the average PC users. Always trying new software or games. geting new movies, HiDef movie editing (wife-work & home movies-5kids), website (wife) We just can't afford to anymore loose data from a dying or dead drive and I just don't have the time nemore to waste 2-4 days of my life reinstalling all this crap and trying to get all settings, programs, updates back to where they were.

I like the idea of a automatic clone of a HDD.... that way if my main hdd dies I can take it out and put in the cloned one with little to no downtime... even if it was manual i wouldnt mind just pressing a button "clone drive" once every few days b4 bed or something. That would be better than a 2 drives running constantly in a raid mirror setup... I think I'm getting an idea of what I want.. now i just need to findo out if it exsists or possible.....

1. Is it possible to automatically clone (image-of boot/os & all data-exact replica) and set it to a specific time/date
2. When its time for the 2nd clone update it can just chk for changes in the image and just update those specific files so it would not have to clone the whole TB worth of information?
3. Clones be done while the OS is still on pc running etc?

#5 jtomara37

jtomara37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:38 PM

Keep in mind I will have on hand a seperate clone image of just the OS and all programs installed (basic with all settings etc) just incase of emergency data corruption... (this one I'll just have stored away in a safe place.

#6 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 732 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:01 PM

Get http://www.hdtune.com 's free version and run the error scan every three to six months or if you think you are having a drive problem. On its Health tab, the key item is the Reallocated Sector Count. Modern drives are supposed to fix themselves and will indicate they are failing when the reallocated count stops being 0. The error scan will show you any "bad sectors" which should not exist.

If it is caught early, simply cloning the failing drive to a replacement will fix things (I do a lot of data recovery and this is what works about 80% of the time)

Karen's Replicator will automatically update the destination folder on a schedule you choose. My E-Mail, Documents, Favorites, Pictures, Music, and videos get backed up every night across the network to another computer. It has been almost 20 years since I saw a thunderstorm blow every computer on a network so the graetest danger is a fire or theft. The note is; though, that it is the separate circuit breaker and power supply which makes this much more secure than an external drive or a second internal.

To answer one of your questions; no, generally you will have to boot a CD to clone the OS drive. I don't even bother to do this; but, if you so desire, I would only do it after a clean setup, after any major software changes, or about once a year.

Since it seems as though you had a drive or two crash, I will add this; Seagate and Hitachi make the best drives, followed by Samsung. Maxtor and Western Digital make the worst (they account for 75+% of my data recoveries)

#7 sag12

sag12

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

Hello my name I guess does not matter but I am looking for some advise on a RAID 0 starting to fail. When I go into computer manager I am seeing that Disk 1 has a problem. Disk 0 at this point seems to be fine. If I have to replace the Disk 1 how would I bring the mirror back and what are the possibles of loose the mirror. And can I still have people on the system while re-creating the mirror. We are speaking about a HP Proliant ML310 G3 Storage running software RAID 0. Running of the chkdsk did find errors and made corrections to the file system. Your thoughts please. Any help would be great I don't want to loose this system. And time does appear to be short.

Tech guy needing help

#8 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 732 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

RAID0 is deadly! Half of your data is on one drive and the other half on the other. With 64KB being the standard "stripe size". nothing but the smallest DOCS and spreadsheets are recoverable after a failure.
If you can, backup everything you care about, ASAP and first!
Then,if you want to rescue the RAID0, you need a replacement drive of similar size (preferably same make/model), another PC which works, and a copy of RawCopy ( http://www.roadkil.net/program.php/P22/Raw%20Copy )
Connect the failing drive and the replacement as the 2nd and 3rd drives on the PC which works and use RawCopy to clone the failing drive. Be VERY careful to choose the physical drives and the correct source and destination, After it is done, put the copy back into the system and pray.

#9 sag12

sag12

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

I knew you were going to say that. :-) I really thank you for your quick come back. Even if it was not what I wanted to hear. :-) God bless you and yours sir.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users