Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hard Disk

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Supermart57

Supermart57

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 29 August 2004 - 10:34 AM

The hard drive in my laptop is getting full and there is not much that I can delete to make more space so I have to replace the disk with a new bigger one. The machine has slowed down considerably since I installed NAV 2004 due to hard disk repeatedly moving files around. I frequently flush my old internet files and have reduced the space available for system restore. The problem is I can't be without my machine for the time it would take to transfer all the data and reinstall the programs.

If I was to buy a new hard disk and a firewire caddy could I connect the disk and install XP on it then install all my software and data while the computer sees it as drive E then remove the existing disk and replace with the bigger one from the caddy so that it becomes drive C?

While talking about full hard drives I had to start my machine in safe mode to remove a virus file buried in a CAB and found a large number of old temporary internet files in directories that do not show when I start XP normally. Can I delete these old files/directories without doing any damage?
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 29 August 2004 - 05:16 PM

Defrah menting is good often! But heres the catch most laptop come with the maximum size of hd they can handle so Ive been told! Got me too!
How old is your laptop and who makes it....

#3 Supermart57

Supermart57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2004 - 03:14 AM

Its an Acer 1202XC with 9.35GB hard disk and 256MB RAM running XP with SP1. The hard drive is a 2.5" Fujitsu, there seem to be others on the market of this dimension but with 30GB capacity. I defragged last week but it made little difference to the performance.

Can anyone advise on the last para of my original post:

"While talking about full hard drives I had to start my machine in safe mode to remove a virus file buried in a CAB and found a large number of old temporary internet files in directories that do not show when I start XP normally. Can I delete these old files/directories without doing any damage?"

Presumably these files are recognised as part of the capacity calculation even though they do not display when Windows is running in normal mode.
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 30 August 2004 - 03:57 AM

I can comment...though its from trial & error more than anything else. For quite a while, I used a program called System Mechanic which basically did a bunch of registry file cleaning, old temp files cleaning, etc. I found it would clean out my "recent files" list where nothing else I knew of would...and that bunch was sometimes very large. (I now use Spybot by adding usage tracks to the fix after a scan, but since a system restore point is set, adding more files, I'm still looking for the ideal way. This link sheds some light on that quest, although I haven't got it to work yet...
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=2237

More stuff here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...showtopic=2110#

But you seek:

"While talking about full hard drives I had to start my machine in safe mode to remove a virus file buried in a CAB and found a large number of old temporary internet files in directories that do not show when I start XP normally. Can I delete these old files/directories without doing any damage?"

Old Temporary files should present no problems in removing. Unless you have something valuable in them, the system shouldn't. No damage should occur. I've read that its a bad practice to leave your own downloaded stuff off the internet ie: HijackThis.exe, etc. in a temp file, and pages downed you generally would deal with "visibly". The system makes files for it's convenience aside from the "results" we the users deal with and if you have a lotta variety in your internet use and lottsa hours at it...those files could get outta hand and build up. I once used Norton Clean Sweep on a drive and it took a heckofa long time giving me back something like 15GB's of mostly old system restore and old temp files that I never saw at startup. (I didn't know then about hidden files and I had even more complications unseen in the Norton Protected Recycle Bin routine that I choose to leave alone nowadays) Live and Learn :thumbsup:

Its the "IN DIRECTORIES" that slows me down from full confidence in my comments...I tend to think you might want to open any folders and delete the file contents rather than deleting everything. You probably need the folders to have a place for the system to put those same type files in the future. Please wait for furthor info or pursue that line of thought in tutorials to get your "feet on solid ground"

Edited by phawgg, 30 August 2004 - 04:00 AM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#5 pondering

pondering

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2004 - 12:52 AM

You really do need a bigger hd, your computer will be faster also. I don't really understand about this fire wire transfer you mentioned.

I do know you can transfer all your data to a new drive. I had it done once, The tech had a little appliance he used, but I don't remember much about it. You can buy them on line.

Another way is to use this on line service that I'll post a link to. I thought I had a bookmark for the appliance, I will look tomorrow.

http://www.spearit.com/about_MoveMe.html

#6 The Bear

The Bear

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2004 - 03:46 AM

I was going to go into a long post about what is safe to remove but I am tired so
Here is a link

The only advice I give with this is check dates on every file before you remove it and then only move it to a folder leave it there use your computer for a couple of weeks and if you do not have any problems then get rid of them

You may also want to check the thread on system restore creating your own is the best way that way you can just leave sytem restore off and ssave a ton of space

Edited by The Bear, 31 August 2004 - 03:48 AM.

Computer help forums are full of those that go around the internet
clicking Willy Nilly and installing or downloading everything in site

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 31 August 2004 - 07:20 AM

Ok here what I got your pc came with a 10gb hd 256mb ram. I go here to read review and stuff look here........
http://www.epinions.com/Acer_Aspire_1202XC...ks_LX_A0105_085
You might have to copy and paste that whole thing in your browser bar but check it out.

#8 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 31 August 2004 - 04:48 PM

I may not be able to help with all of your questions, but there are a few that I know for sure.

When you purchase a new HD, 90% of the time, it will include a program that will allow you to transfer data from your old one, and other applications. It will be mentioned on the box. As bare minimum, you could use XP's file transfer wizard that will pop-up when it sees that you have a new hard drive that you want to install.

As far as how you would install XP, allow me to offer a suggestion from my own personal experience. Allow XP to stay on the primary HD, and move the applications over to the secondary. Some people refer to them as master (primary) and slave (secondary). When you are using an external device, such as a firewire kit, then you may have to change the jumper on it prior to installing. The documentation that comes with the HD will explain the best choice, and where it is located.

The only time that I have seen a limitation on hardware, was when it was referring to its own brand. Ex: Acer may say that the max is 30Gig, but it would be because that is the largest HD that they make.

If you have a virus in one of your CAB files, then I would be looking for my restore CDs, and start backing everything up. When you add another drive, it would be the ideal time for a fresh install of the OS.

BTW Phawgg, I use System Mechanic also. It does seem to find files that should have been deleted months ago. I would suggest that you try ou the trial on it, SuperMart. It may help some, but it certainly wouldnt hurt.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#9 Supermart57

Supermart57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2004 - 01:48 PM

Thanks for all the comments so far. I will follow them up but if anyone has anything to add please do.

Working backwards up the replies: Jason the virus was in a CAB which downloaded itself from the Internet but fortunately the initiation routine that would have opened the CAB did not run so the virus was not activated and I was able to use the info provided by NAV to find and delete it. The CAB file was not part of an installation set. It was while making the deletetion in safe mode that I discovered all the old temporary internet files that did not show up when running Explorer in Normal mode. It then made me wonder if I could delete all of these files and directories. They are not in the TEMP directory but in the path Documents and Settings/etc/Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files. My machine is a laptop so I cannot have the old and new disks running together unless one is in an external housing such as a caddy.

CGM3: The link did not work even with pasting but thanks all the same.

To other respondents than you for your advice.

#10 Supermart57

Supermart57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2004 - 11:12 AM

I bought a copy of Spring Cleaning 3.0 from Aladdin Systems and found it very useful. It reclaimed nearly 3Mb of disk space and removed over 500!!!! faulty registry entries and finds more each time I run it. :thumbsup:

The result is I don't need a new hard disk and my machine runs much more quickly. :flowers:

20 (about $35) well spent.

Only one question: why does it try to connect to the Internet each time I start it?

Edited by Supermart57, 12 September 2004 - 11:15 AM.

#11 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2004 - 01:52 PM

Only one question: why does it try to connect to the Internet each time I start it?

It is likely seeing if there is an update for it. When programmers update their software, it will include current things that was not available when in was initially released.

#12 Supermart57

Supermart57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2004 - 03:18 PM

OOps Correction. Spring Cleaning found 3GB of storage not 3MB!

#13 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2004 - 03:24 PM

3GB is alot of space. Does it seem better then before?

#14 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 12 September 2004 - 03:31 PM

I once used Norton Clean Sweep on a drive and it took a heckofa long time giving me back something like 15GB's of mostly old system restore and old temp files that I never saw at startup.

Yeah, Supermart, we're talkin' gigobytes! :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#15 Supermart57

Supermart57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2004 - 04:35 PM

It certainly is a lot of space and now it goes like a rocket! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users